Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One Day Travel -- What Do I Do?

Default One Day Travel -- What Do I Do?

I am a BFing mommy to an almost 8 Month Old (where does the time go LOL) and she is only fed breastmilk... I work full time and have been able to maintain BFing with pumping and constant nursing...

I have to be in NY on business on Wednesday. It's an up and back trip BUT my dilemma is my ability to pump will be EXTREMELY limited if not NONEXISTENT! Here's our usual schedule

6:00AM Nurse (Wake Up)
    7:30AM Nurse (Drop off at DC at 8AM)
    10:00AM Pump
    12:00PM Pump
    2:00PM Pump
    5:00PM Nurse (Pick Up from DC at 4:30PM)
    6:15PM Nurse
    7:30PM Nurse (Bed Time)

I have to be AT work at 6:30AM that day... so I will have to wake her and nurse her and leave... I will get back home around 8PM... that leaves me with 6 missed feeding/pumping sessions. I'm going to be LUCKY if I can pump once or twice and to be HONEST I am not sure I will be able to mellow out enough to even make the session amount to anything What do I do?

Should I nurse her throughout that night? She is sleeping through the night. I don't want my supply to take a beating, and I am so afraid this will do it. Is one day a HUGE deal? Is there anything I can do? I was debating asking to work from home the next day so i could nurse her non-stop to make up for it?!?!?! But I'm just not sure I will be able to do that, we're in the middle of some HUGE projects and things are crazy! UGH It's only one day, I just don't know what to do... am I making a big deal out of NOTHING? I would be so happy if this was the case! LOL Thank you in advance, sorry if I sound so dramatic...

Default Re: One Day Travel -- What Do I Do?

Your supply shouldn't drop dramatically just because you're off schedule for one day. However, you may (will?) notice that you're overly full and uncomfortable. Take along extra pads and maybe an extra shirt. Pump whenever you can, at least to relieve the pressure, or even hand-express enough to relieve the pressure. Be prepared to nurse/pump as soon as you get home.

You can do this!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

thank you Shannon! I posted this on another forum and was reminded that I should worry about plugged ducts, which I had COMPLETELY forgotten about. LOL So I will be taking my Isis, as I planned, and pumping each side at least every 3 hours... even if it's for 5-10 minutes.

But thank you for the support, and you're right I CAN do this, we've had our share of obstacles and we've survived them, we'll survive this too ;-)

i think milk supply should be fine, but physical discomfort will be the issue.
    i took a one day trip yesterday. i left home at 530 am and got back at 1030 pm. i took my small pump and pumped in the airport before i got on my flight, again when i landed, during a break from my meeting, and back at the airport before my flight home. this wasn't really enough pumping for me. i should have had a least one, maybe two, more sessions. but there just wasn't time. also, the small pump is nowhere near as good at getting the milk out as my pis and its pretty hard to get a letdown in the bathroom at the airport. so i felt full most of the day. i was so happy to see ds was still awake when i got home. he emptied one side for me, but got full so i had to manually express from the other side (not using the small pump anymore and pis was at work). it wasn't until i got to work and was able to feed the pis pump for awhile that i finally feel completely relieved on both sides. i also came into work late today so that i could get more rest and have extra opportunity for ds to nurse.

I have a day trip this week and am trying to figure out security issues for bringing pumped milk and ice packs on board. Were you able to carry on milk and/or ice? TSA is not at all clear in their guidance when a baby isn't traveling with you. Many thanks!

In response to Barbara's post, I don't know the answer to the TSA question, but if they DON'T allow you to carry milk without a baby, this would be a perfect time to use your frozen supply if you have some. You could pump during the day to keep comfortable and to prevent problems with your supply, and then (with a lump in your throat) dump it. You can prepare bottles from frozen milk for the baby's next day at daycare.

But you could also probably check the milk in a cooler bag. Then you would not use up frozen milk or have to dump any of your liquid gold.

I flew three weeks ago. I had a soft-sided lunch bag with ice packs and I put most of the milk (what had been refrigerated at the hotel the night before and during work that day) in there inside my suitcase. I checked this suitcase.

Then the most recent milk that I'd pumped, which I left room temp, stayed in the cooler bag in my pump with no ice pack. I had no problems sending that through security. What I pumped at the airport stayed room temp until I got home.