Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please tell me it gets easier

Default Please tell me it gets easier

9 month old DD was really loving her solids, all of a sudden doesn't want much...I'm thinking it's because she's teething. Pedi said we can start introducing "table food" following DD's lead, but if her baby food is slightly chunky, she'll gag on it (not because she's choking) until I take out the chunk, but she won't even try "chewing/gumming" it even though she has her 2 bottom teeth. Stage 1 & 2 foods she's ok with. Stage 3, not so much.
    I'm trying to give her 'finger foods' to play with, but she'll literally sit there and play w/them on her tray, not in her mouth.
    How do I get her to 'practice' eating if she won't even try "chewing"?
    Is this "just a phase?" Due to teething?
    Does it get easier when she gets more teeth?

I was so excited about giving her rice, beans, or whatnot.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Default Re: Please tell me it gets easier

Foods in the first year are for experiementing anyhow... she'll learn how to do it all in her own time. you just keep doing what you're doing and like a key in a lock - it will fit when it's right.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I had to get over my desire for DD to eat foods. I guess she knows what she wants and needs. She is 11 months and aside form an occasional jar of food here and there, mainly nurses. I offer her table food, jar food, etc...she plays with it mostly!

My son used to gag on stage 3 food. He NEVER ate it. It wasnt that he was chokiing either, but hated the feel of it in his mouth. To this day he is very selective about texture of his food and a very picky eater!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    Foods in the first year are for experiementing anyhow... she'll learn how to do it all in her own time. you just keep doing what you're doing and like a key in a lock - it will fit when it's right.
    And FWIW, I think that allowing a kid to play with food means that you're still making progress, even if very little/none is actually getting into her tummy. Playing with and tasting food is just as much a part of the learning process as actually eating it is!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    And FWIW, I think that allowing a kid to play with food means that you're still making progress, even if very little/none is actually getting into her tummy. Playing with and tasting food is just as much a part of the learning process as actually eating it is!
    She'll eat mama. I get frustrated too sometimes and then someone comes along to remind me of these things mommal, Eme and Dara said. Keep in mind that mine is pretty much eating fruit pieces only although last night he ate some whole oat toast! Just keep offering her the finger foods so she can practice mashing and chewing. She'll get it.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dara View Post
    My son used to gag on stage 3 food. He NEVER ate it. It wasnt that he was chokiing either, but hated the feel of it in his mouth. To this day he is very selective about texture of his food and a very picky eater!
    Oh no! DD already shows signs of liking things HER way...darn geminis, I have no idea where she gets it from (I'm a gemini)

Do you just give them their little dish w/some food in it for them to play with, experiment, learn and see what they'll do with it? I ask because I'm a clean freak/anal about organization Trust me, I'm working on this... trying to relax, let it go, etc. But I'll grin and bare it for her benefit
    She does love "chewing" on apple wedges that I cut for her. Yesterday she scared me half to death...she started REALLY gagging on a piece/seeming like she was choking (must have gotten stuck in the very back of her tongue or roof of her mouth), but no "chunk" was missing from the wedge... so I picked her up VERY quickly, put her faced her on my arm and patted her back with some force She started crying after that, but dang...and that's with me watching her like a hawk when she chewing on those slices.
    I just wish she'd show SOME interest/curiosity in foods...besides the boobie!
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; March 6th, 2010 at 11:07 AM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...