Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avent vs Dr. Brown's vs playtex nurser

Default Re: Avent vs Dr. Brown's vs playtex nurser

Hi everyone,
    I have a little update for you all.

DH tried the avent bottles first. He got frustrated as he had trouble with them leaking around where the cap screws on. Apparently they have to be not too tight or not too loose. Next we decided to try the breastflow bottle from the first years. He only used it once so far, but he thought DS took it really well. I think we will stick with that one for a bit.

I still have my Dr. Brown's that we can try if we want to.

A ? for the pp: you wrote "the fat in breastmilk sticks to the disposable liners. She even advised against storing milk in freezer bags for this reason!"

What did you end up using to freeze milk in?
    Hi! I'm Ann, Mama to my "big baby buffalo" , DS#1, who breastfed from August '06 to January '08
    and DS#2, my"little baby buffalo" born in May '08 and exclusively breastfeeding

To answer the question about what to freeze milk in besides plastic storage bags: I have a Medela pump and they sell breastmilk storage bottles in packs of 12. They work very well and attach directly to my breastpump. They are also very convenient and make transfer from freezer to bottle much easier and less messy than storage bags. They're a little more expensive, but remember that they can be washed and reused! I found mine at Babies-R-Us, but they can also be purchased online:

http://store.babycenter.com/product/...intcmp=&stage=

Also, make use of those Avent bottles! The sealing disks fit in the collar and form a great seal for breastmilk storage in the freezer. In fact, any inexpensive bottle with a sealing disk can work for breastmilk storage in the freezer.

The only funny thing about using bottles instead of bags is that they take up a little more space in the freezer, but when I was preparing to go back to work and saw the bottom shelf of our freezer almost full of bottles of milk, it made me feel a little better about having to return to work.

Cool Re: Avent vs Dr. Brown's vs playtex nurser

I use the avent, dr. brown's, and vent air every day interchangeably. I didn't like the avent at first because the milk came out so fast, but now that she is 9 weeks and I use the manual breast pump, it is easier to give her the bottle without transferring the bm. I love the 4 oz dr. brown's because they are so small and easy to handle and she drinks very well from them and it does not leak out of her mouth. The clean-up isn't really that bad. The vent air takes as much time to clean and put back together. I like this one because the nipple is slower so she gets less air, but milk tends to leak out of the side of her mouth every time she uses it. I'd have to say my favorite is dr. brown's.

Bumping up for Vidhya!
    Hi! I'm Ann, Mama to my "big baby buffalo" , DS#1, who breastfed from August '06 to January '08
    and DS#2, my"little baby buffalo" born in May '08 and exclusively breastfeeding

Thanks, Ann. This was exactly what I was looking for. I have heard many folks now complain that the Avent bottles leak. It was interesting that many people were talking about the fat sticking thing. We have a few Avent bottles and many Dr Brown. I guess I will continue interchanging them till I know for sure what DD likes, and that the Dr Brown are indeed skimming fat of her milk.

We have tried Avent, then the Breastflow bottle by First Years, then Dr. Brown's.
    My LO will only take the Dr. Brown's from my husband and will only take the Breastflow bottles from me. We are guessing the difference is b/c the Breastflow is more like a breast and I nurse her so it is all she will take from me but I do not use a bottle that often these days now that she is finally nursing!!
    She refuses the Avent from both of us.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

My LO will take the advent if shes hungry enough and is kinda pushed into it, but she'll take a Gerber bottle easily!! but for her nothing is better than momma!

The Dr Browns have turned out to be the only one DS does well with (regular not the wide). It's not that hard to clean-not as hard as the regular ventaire (the non bag ones) IMHO. I work part time and as much as possible just put everything in the dishwasher (vent/nipples/rings/brown part in a basket in the top, bottles and caps in the top shelf).
    Margaret and
    DS 2/06 nursed x1yr
    and DD 3/08, so far so good!

Talking Re: Avent vs Dr. Brown's vs playtex nurser

I bought several different bottles to try and Ellie took the Dr. Brown much better than the other. I recommend getting one of each and let your baby decide. I was on EBay looking for the Dr. Brown pump and bottle sterilizer the other day and there were lots of auctions on there for the bottles... at HUGE savings. You may want to check that out. Oh, and the Dr. Brown are not that bad to clean either.

Wow! I wish I had read this thread before I introduced my boy to his bottle! I had never heard of the Breastflow bottle; that one sounds pretty cool.

I am using the Second Nature bottle which is totally brilliant. It has a bunch of tiny holes on the nipple (so no need to worry about fast flow or slow flow nipples) that releases milk only when the baby actively sucks on it. Our local lactation hotline recommended the brand and I am so happy with it. You can turn the bottle upside down and it will not leak. It's the closest I could find to nursing in that the baby has to work to get his milk. I haven't heard any complaints from him so far!

The only concern I'd ever heard from anyone online was that the nipples are expensive, but he only takes one bottle a day while I'm at work, so we haven't had any problems so far.