Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avent vs Dr. Brown's vs playtex nurser

Default Re: Avent vs Dr. Brown's vs playtex nurser

I've wondered that myself, I haven't noticed that my nipples flow faster when pumping, so I wonder why the bottles do. Maybe because it is just too easy to get milk out for newborns that the bottle makers want to make it more difficult so that baby has to work for it and not over eat and when they get a little older it is ok that it comes easier?!?!?!

I have used all three of these bottles. I started off with the Playtex Nurser and loved it because it was simple and easy since you just toss the liner bag away. My daughter developed severe colic however and I switched bottles to find something better. The Avent nipple was too hard after she'd the the Playtex. The Playtex Ventaire was also too hard and leaked out of the bottom sometimes. The Dr. Brown's was what we ended up with. They are a pain to clean so I'd say if you aren't dealing with tummy issues to probably avoid these. They worked great for her colic though. They didn't eliminate it entirely but did decrease the severity. There were NO bubbles in the bottle at all. It was great. The inserts in the bottle though are a pain even with the tiny brush they include to wash them with.

If you are just pumping occasionally or something I'd say the Playtex Nurser with drop in liner is great!! So convienent! I am hoping to BF my 2nd daughter and plan to use these bottles with her later on. The nipple is quite flexible on it and I think perhaps that might be one reason why BF babies like it.

Eliza's Mom: I have the Circo bottles and the Advent bottles and yes the nipples may look really close, but if you put them on and Advent cap and shack the cap a little you'll notice they are not a tight fit and they will leak, at least that is what was happening to me and my DCP. You can tell the difference between the two by looking for "Advent" on the nipple, the circo ones do not have anything on them. Also the lids are not interchangeable either. But once you get used to tell the difference between the two it's great that you can use both the Advent and the Circo because they are so much cheaper. I got the Advent ones as gifts and got sticker shock when I went to buy more. Like you said I saw these on clearance at Target and pick up a few.

We love the Dr. Brown's bottles. I just put everything on the top rack of the dishwasher and it cleans just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by catherinesmommy View Post
    We love the Dr. Brown's bottles. I just put everything on the top rack of the dishwasher and it cleans just fine.
    Good to know!
    Hi! I'm Ann, Mama to my "big baby buffalo" , DS#1, who breastfed from August '06 to January '08
    and DS#2, my"little baby buffalo" born in May '08 and exclusively breastfeeding

As far as I am concerned, Dr. Brown's has a whole lot of cleaning entailed and the playtex nurser is actually really difficult to use. With the Playtex Nursers you have to sqeeze out the air before giving the bottle to the baby, and the bags can sometimes burst. I work in a day care and there have been many times where the bags have burst with the mother's breastmilk inside. It can be really bad! I used to use avent with my son but then I learned about Breastflow from First Years and that's what I used until he started the sippy cup. Breastflow is great because it works like the breast in so many ways. The milk "lets-down" into the nipple and the baby can compress the nipple to fit their mouth (there are two nipples, one on the inside and one on the outside). And the bottle cap snaps right onto the bottom of the bottle so they never get lost! Just something to think about! HTH!
    -Jenn

I love using the Avent. I use both. Bags for freezing and I also use the 5 oz. for fresh milk. I have heard people say the nipple leak but I have never had that problem. You just have to make sure the nipple is on correctly and not over tighten. My son had to take med. in his milk so he was taking the Avent nipple from about 2 wks old. He took it so well I never tried anything else.

Hi Hunoosh - I was not able to reply to your PM to me because it said you can't receive Private Messages - so I am replying here:

Quote Originally Posted by Hunoosh
    I have a medela pump and hate the fact that I have to switch the milk from container to my Avent bottles. Can you please tell me where I can find a converter so I can pump directly to the Avent? I didn't know there was such a thing. Thank you

Mel
    Hi there, Wow, you sure have your hands full! I got the converter at Babie's R Us, and I THINK, though I am not positive, that it is actually AVENT brand. It comes with two converters, one for each side on a double pump. There are two bottle converters and two bigger ones that will fit the VIA disposable system by avent. Before I saw this at babies r us I saw one online, but you had to buy each side separately there, so be careful that you get two! Good luck, and I can tell you that the more often you pump the better you get at it. Don't know why, but that is how it worked for me! - Eliza's mom

Thanx Eliza's mom! I will HAVE to make a stop at our local babies r us (my favorite store...lol). I have alsways had wonderful experiences bf my children (18yrs and 12yrs. and now 2 month old boys). I really can't complain about bf the twins. I knew I was able to do it because I have always had a good supply to nurse with and with twins it just took time for my body to adjust to making enough for 2. Using an electric double pump is new to me though. I stuggled with a manual one with my older children. But I was so lucky this time...at the hospital the nurse brought me in a brand new medela advance backpack. I guess I qualified for it free throug my health insurance because I delivered twins and was bfing. Anyway...what a surprise that was I had to idea and didn't ask for it! What I'm not crazy about it that I use the Avent like I posted earlier and I hate having to transfer milk. Thanks for replying...btw...I had to change a setting to get PM sorry new at this posting thing...lol

Thanks again.
    Mel

I had bought a bunch of Avent bottles and Platex bottles before my son was born, but was advised by a lactation consultant to return the Platex bottles because the fat in breastmilk sticks to the disposable liners. She even advised against storing milk in freezer bags for this reason! My pediatrician recommended Dr. Brown's wide neck bottles over Avent because she said that the Dr. Brown's nipples were the softest and most similar to the breast. She found this feature even more important than the anti-colic feature of the Dr. Brown's bottles. Interestingly, the vent system in Dr. Brown's allows for the nipples to be less rigid because there is less suction on the nipple. My son did very well with the Dr. Brown's bottles and even spit up less with the Dr. Brown's than when he breastfed! We tried the Avent bottles on a few occasions, but my son became frustrated with the nipples. I tried putting Dr. Brown's nipples in the Avent bottles, which my son liked, but then the nipple collapsed in the Avent bottle due to the pressure. Anyway, to sum it up:

*Dr. Brown's nipples are softer than Avent
    *Platex disposable liners can (may) hold on to valuable fat
    *Dr. Brown's does a great job of reducing spit up / air in the milk

As far as leaks: Dr. Brown's bottles must have the collar loosened prior to warming. Otherwise, the pressure from the heat pushes the milk up the vent system, resulting in leaks. No biggie if you just untighten the collar prior to warming. Also, cleaning is NOT a big deal. Just a few extra seconds and/or all of the pieces fit in a dishwashwer basket in the top rack.

Every baby is different, but even my husband contended that for us Dr. Brown's bottles were the best baby item we purchased!