Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is my supply ok??

Default is my supply ok??

is 30 ounces good for a day?? Yesterday I got right around 30 ounces give or take. Is that a good ammount for a day. Im talking from midnight to midnight thats how I keep track of my milk... I write the date and time I expressed.

So far today Ive gotten 28 ounces and still have one session to go usually around 10 pm or so. For some reason I feel like I dont have enough.. My LO is just over one month old. Some days he eats it all and some days I start the next day with the last bag or bag and a half from the day before.
    Is that too much for him to be eating? Hes been a piggy the past two days.

Im so lost with pumping and bottle feeding.

Default Re: is my supply ok??

wow... to me it seems a lot! though I only pump while at work ( once a day / three times per week) I can not get that much milk at all! I get around 4 OZ per one breast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I never ahead of my DD who is 6 months now...

Wow, 30 oz a day is really good Especially if your LO is 1 mo old...
    According to my pedi babies younger than 2 mo old take between 20 to 25 oz a day, and babies older than 2 mo take between 25 and 30 oz a day. So the intake of your LO seems normal.
    What bottles are you using? How about the pump?
    My LC also suggusted to pump extra for couple of days every two to three weeks to up my supply and keep up with the baby's needs. Also to keep an eye on growth spurts and pump extra during that time

Love_cyber_Cat - 4 oz per breast is pretty impressive too Most women are lucky to get 4 oz from both breasts. I onsider myself lucky to get 6oz total from both....
    Last edited by borislava; January 25th, 2007 at 10:55 PM. Reason: add

30oz per day and 4oz per breast are BOTH A LOT!!!!

I think average per pumping session is 2-4 oz (that is for both sides total). And babies consume an average of about an oz an hour from 1-6 months.

I just bought the Medela PIS 4 days ago. I have to admit I thought the suction would be a bit more stong..?? the Medela single delux was a bit stronger in suction.

Im using the avent bottles and bought a second nature feeding system one. I like it for the most part but the niple seems to come out of the ring easy and drip.
    Im so worried Ill drop in supply I guess Im just stressing over nothing.

That's about the same as what I pump in a day. I have days where my LO will eat less and I add to my supply, and then days where she guzzles it faster than I can pump it. Just about the time I start to get panicky that she's gonna clean out my supply, she seems to slow down. She's 8 weeks now, and I've noticed a bit of a slow down to how much she's growing and eating from at first - she was born pretty small then had a huge growth spurt - averaging about 10 oz. a week weight gain! Now it seems to be going down to the 6-8 oz. a week the books say is normal. Maybe your baby's just trying to play catchup on growing like mine? to you on pumping exclusively. It can be super hard, but it's worth it to know you're baby's getting "the good stuff".