Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to increase pumping output?

Default How to increase pumping output?

I have a 9 MO son who is in child care 4 days/week. I nurse him at drop off and at lunch time, but he takes a bottle of EBM in the morning and one in the afternoon. He usually takes about 4 oz at each feeding.

The problem is that I am not pumping enough during my pumping sessions to have enough milk for the next day and I am almost out of my stash in the freezer. What can I do to be able to pump enough when I am away so that I don't run out of milk? Right now I am pumping about 2 oz. at a session.

He isn't really into solid foods either so I want to make sure he gets enough....I had lots of milk supply issues early on due to tongue tie and improper latch but took Domperidone for a few weeks and gradually built up a full supply and exclusively nursed until he was 6 months old (then I had to go back to work). Now my LO is a whopping 22 lbs - I am so proud ;-)

Default Re: How to increase pumping output?

How often are you pumping? 2 oz is about average, I'd say. Can you pump on your way to work even if it's right after nursing him? How long are you pumping? 15 min. is what my LCs recommend. What kind of pump do you have?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I have been pumping once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I nurse on demand through the night, at 8:15 AM, then pump around 10:30, then nurse around 12:30 then pump around 3:00 and nurse when I pick him up at 5:00.

I guess I could add another session but I am always worried that if its too close to the time when I nurse then there wont be enough in there for him during my visit.

Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language