Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: working part-time and pumping

Default Re: working part-time and pumping

How old is your baby?
    Amy~
    first time mommy, 2-15-09 to my lil bambina from then til ?, done with pumping!!

Baby just turned 4 months weight is 13lbs 4 oz for since March 16.

What pump do you have?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

medela lactina select.

Hmm..Based on that, and that's a good pump, you are going to have to work in a pumping while you are away from him. It might still be too early for you to go that long between feedings.

How is your LO otherwise? Is the doctor concerned? Are you supplementing at all with anything else (If so, stop for now because demand = supply, and skipping just one feeding shouldn't be that big a deal). How are wets and poops looking?

When my LO is under a year and I'm not slammed at work, I pump probably 2-3 hours into my shift, which is about 4-5 hours long. If I'm slammed, I end up skipping it and leaking all over ().

The rest of the time, when you are with LO, nursing MUST be a priority. MUST. I think that's how I compensate for not nursing for a few hours -- even up to 12 hours (now -- I do not recommend that for a mother of a younger baby) -- 1-2 times a week. I simply let the baby nurse on demand and everything else just has to follow along. I know this is hard -- I watched a friend of mine quit nursing because pumping at work was very hard for her but when she was off, she wasn't nursing..she was running around without baby doing all kinds of things..no wonder she dried up.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you that confirms what I was thinking. I have stayed home for the past 2 days and fed on demand and beyond LO has gained 4 oz. And I'm feeling fuller. I haven't supplemented and poops etc. looked fine and various. I'm guessing something else was a factor. I have only been feeding one breast at a time, because before I had an oversupply and LO wasn't getting the hind milk, but maybe he was ready for both breast at each feeding. And he has nursed on both past two days. So the combo of both is probably the problem with no weight gain. I'm a mother of 3. Nursed all three. My oldest is going to college this year Nicole, 18, my middle son, Nicholas is 10, and LO, Daniel ( my listtle surprise) 4 months. I'm 44. Nursing rules have changed from 18 years ago but mother inlaws advise hasn't. Ha Ha

On a different note what sling do you use. I have a few and none work for me. If I could find one he likes I could wear him sometimes to work with me.
    your life is encouraging to me thanks.

I use a Maya wrap when they are little, but at around 4 months, when my big boys are holding their heads up and wanting to sit, I switch to a back carrier, and for me, that's an Ergo, although a mei tai works well in a back carry. Rebozos and that sort of carrier are also good back carriers.

But there are various carriers you might consider. Just not the stupid Bjorns or Snuggi's. Those are not good for your back or baby's back long-term.

The boys love the back carry and are happy to ride along for a while in there.

I also have an OS, and yeah, there does seem to come a time where baby could nurse on both sides and seems to need to. Either the OS evens out, or baby's needs just increase that much

I think you can combine nursing and PT work You'll figure out what works for you. Speaking of which....It's almost time for me to load them up and head out to work myself.
    Susan