Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: working part-time and pumping

Default working part-time and pumping

Hello, I am new, and would love to hear advise on my issue. This site has answered so many of my questions.
    I am self employed and live less than 1 mile from my store. I have a 2 1/2 month old, nursing only. I am planning to return to work part time for around 3 1/2 hours 3 times a week from 12:30 till 3:30 or 4:00. Will I need to pump at work or am I good to go for that short of a time. Am afraid to diminsh my supply. Also how much milk does He take at this age, he is 12 pounds. When do you suggest I pump, so I don't take his milk.

Default Re: working part-time and pumping

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mslocknpawn View Post
    Hello, I am new, and would love to hear advise on my issue. This site has answered so many of my questions.
    I am self employed and live less than 1 mile from my store. I have a 2 1/2 month old, nursing only. I am planning to return to work part time for around 3 1/2 hours 3 times a week from 12:30 till 3:30 or 4:00. Will I need to pump at work or am I good to go for that short of a time. Am afraid to diminsh my supply. Also how much milk does He take at this age, he is 12 pounds. When do you suggest I pump, so I don't take his milk.
    How often does you LO eat now? If feeding right before you leave is possible and right when you get home. maybe that would work. I EP and cant BF so I cant completely compare but I pump 7 times a day and usualy go from begining of one pump to the begin of next 3-3.5 hours. My LO is 4 months now and I have been thinking about the same thing. Only I would be going to a job that might not allow pumping. I have to drive 15-20 min to and 15-20 min home and I am trying to factor that in to my time between feedings.
    I hope it all works out for you.

Well because I have read you should pump when your LO is taking bottle while you are gone. I was wondering if it diminished my milk supply if done continuously and if I happen to go a bit longer. He eats around every 1 to 2 hours, but when drinking the 4 ounces I leave him with he will go longer around 3. I do nurse before I leave but he cant wait until I get back. He is 2 1/2 months old. Good to know he will have a longer stretch when he is 4 months is that the case with you.

Hi there! Your son might not have a longer stretch at 4 months, it's possible but maybe not. Are you planning on pumping another time during the same day to leave milk with him? I think as long as you pump so that you are producing the same amount of milk every day, the actual timing doesn't matter. You may be able to get away with not pumping at work at all. If your supply started to dip, then you should probably pump in the middle of your work day.

In your situation, I would probably pump first thing in the morning when I got up and just leave that for the baby while I was at work. I would also nurse right before I left and right when I got back.

ETA: I would leave 3 ounces or so. Generally baby will need between 1 and 1.5 ounces an hour while you are way, but you're going to nurse him right when you leave and right when you get back.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My advice is if he's eating while you are gone, then you need to pump. Unless you plan on getting that bottle during another time of day, but it usually works better if it's the time you are away to compensate for the days you are together. Meaning, if he's use to eating at 1PM every day, the days you are together he's going to need to eat at that time and you don't want your body to be use to not having that milk for him.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I work a similar schedule. Just a few hours a day a few days a week.

When my LO is under a year, I work in a pumping when I'm feeling full if absolutely possible, just for my own comfort...but I get busy (I'm a veterinarian) and sometimes I end up skipping and just feeding the baby when I return. I then saved that milk for the next time I had to be away from him a few days later, or I donated it to another mama; my LO would only take fresh pumped, and I have a lipase issue, so I would scald it before saving it in the fridge.

I did take babies to work with me for a few months, and that was fun. If it's possible, do that. I saw patients while wearing baby in a baby carrier I STILL have clients who remember that!

There may or may not be a longer stretch at 4 months. I have a 14 month old who nurses every 2 hours but I do not pump when I'm away from him now.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mslocknpawn View Post
    Well because I have read you should pump when your LO is taking bottle while you are gone. I was wondering if it diminished my milk supply if done continuously and if I happen to go a bit longer. He eats around every 1 to 2 hours, but when drinking the 4 ounces I leave him with he will go longer around 3. I do nurse before I leave but he cant wait until I get back. He is 2 1/2 months old. Good to know he will have a longer stretch when he is 4 months is that the case with you.
    My LO varies on how much time goes between his feedings, as well as how much he drinks. You will read that some stay at 2 hours and some longer. I agree with the others that if you have the chance and your LO usualy eats at the time you are at the office then I would pump. The forum is great at giving advise and I am a first time mom that is learning herself. You are lucky you can pump at work, pumping takes me longer and it was one of the reasons I was let go from my job. Goodluck with you precious mommy milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    There may or may not be a longer stretch at 4 months. I have a 14 month old who nurses every 2 hours but I do not pump when I'm away from him now.
    My 16 month old is the same way.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

thank you, it helps to know difference of opinion. I have been doing exactly that pumping in the morning and early early morning to get a least 4 oz. and nursing before I leave and when I return. Trying to convince mother in law not to feed right before I get here, because I end up pumping when I return because LO is full. Thats cute about the pocket LO, I cant do that because its a store and we mostly cut keys and its a pawn shop (know what I mean). But sometimes if I am strictly in the office I wil bring him, he's a bit fussy and doesn't like the carrier.

Unhappy Re: working part-time and pumping

Well, I went back to work 3 days a week for 3 hours a day. Decided not to pump while I was gone. Fed LO before I left and LO was fed EBM while I was away, that I pumped at various times, and fed immediately when I returned started this in middle of march. LO has not gained weight since March 16, today is April 18. I'm worried and not returning to work for a week or 2 to build milk supply. I thought since I was pumping through out the day that my milk supply would be the same, but something isn't working. I'm fortunate that I am the owner of the store and only live 1/4 mile away and considered just returning home to feed, but that puts me going back and forth in a 3 hour span every 45 minutes. Will me pumping at work instead be enough to meet the gap? Anybody have a similar experience?
    Janett