Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Iron Deficiency and Supplements

Default Iron Deficiency and Supplements

We just came from my son's 9 month appointment where they checked his hemoglobin levels and told me that he is slightly anemic. (they wanted the level to be above 12.0 and it was 9.9) The doc wrote a script for iron supplements 2 x/day and said to give him iron rich solids.

Problem is - he's not interested in solids, and I am not interested in giving him the supplements unless he absolutely needs them...so what do you think? They tried to push the vitamins on me before and I refused, but I'm not sure if this is really something that he needs.

Default Re: Iron Deficiency and Supplements

If his hemoglobin came in at 9.9, and your LO won't eat iron-rich solids, then yeah, I personally would give the iron supplement. I was borderline anemic (reading was 10 g/dl) when pregnant with DD#1, and once I got my iron up into the normal zone I realized just how washed out and crappy I had been feeling up until then.

I've heard that Floradix works well...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If his hemoglobin came in at 9.9, and your LO won't eat iron-rich solids, then yeah, I personally would give the iron supplement. I was borderline anemic (reading was 10 g/dl) when pregnant with DD#1, and once I got my iron up into the normal zone I realized just how washed out and crappy I had been feeling up until then.

I've heard that Floradix works well...
    I've been anemic on and off my whole life and its not fun! Tired, headaches, low appetite, etc.

Will your son eat anything?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

He will eat puffs (I get the organic ones that dissolve in his mouth) and occasionally a few peas or a few bites of sweet potato - but he is not very interested in them. He definitely does better with things he can feed himself as opposed to something pureed on a spoon. I am not pushing it...trying to let him lead the way.

Another issue is that he cut his finger pretty badly on Saturday night and it bled - A LOT...to the point where we actually took him to the ER to get the bleeding to stop. I have no idea if this impacts hemoglobin levels at all, but am wondering if that has something to do with it?