Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lipase vs. Normal Thawed Milk??

Question Lipase vs. Normal Thawed Milk??

Hi Ladies,

I'm hoping someone can answer these questions for me.

Ever since I've read about lipase, I've been paranoid that I have that issue. I'm really not sure, though. Let me note that my DD (9 months old) has never refused a bottle, so I am very fortunate. I know I shouldn't worry as long she is drinking her bottles, but I guess I'm just curious. I tend to over-think things.

I've been freezing my milk three days after I pump, as I MAY have had some issues last August when I would leave milk in the fridge for five days. I'm not sure if it was lipase or if my sitter wasn't keeping my milk cold enough. I had a couple of smelly bottles.

Anyway, when I defrost my frozen milk, it smells different than the fresh I've pumped. My fresh milk basically has no smell. The frozen does. I wouldn't say it is soapy, metallicy or bad-smelling...it just smells different. I can't really describe it. I've tasted it before and it isn't as sweet as the fresh. It tastes a bit stronger (more "milky"). Not great, but not horrible either.

My assumption is that fresh and thawed milk will taste different from each other, as fresh and thawed (previously frozen) food tastes different to us.

Am I correct? I've always wondered this...sorry if I sound dense.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, comments, opinions...whatever you've got! Thanks!

Jen

Default Re: Lipase vs. Normal Thawed Milk??

Milk with activated lipase tastes BAD. Not just different or less fresh. You would know. Mine tasted like vomit.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Okay, I've heard that before. Others have said that theirs tastes soapy, etc. My assumption is that the taste is VERY soapy. So I would know if there was a problem...it would be obvious.

Thank you for responding!

Yep - before I figured out to scald my EBM any milk that had been in the fridge for several days or milk I pulled from the freezer smelled and tasted HORRIBLE.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My thawed milk also tasted "different" than fresh milk too, but not disgusting, yk? And my DS has never refused a bottle. Even with no lipase issue, I think there is just a difference between the taste of fresh vs. thawed milk. JMO
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Yep - before I figured out to scald my EBM any milk that had been in the fridge for several days or milk I pulled from the freezer smelled and tasted HORRIBLE.
    Okay, good to know. Thank you!

My thawed milk also tasted "different" than fresh milk too, but not disgusting, yk? And my DS has never refused a bottle. Even with no lipase issue, I think there is just a difference between the taste of fresh vs. thawed milk.
    That's what I figured. It would make sense, seeing as how there is a difference between eating fresh food vs. previously frozen food.

Thanks again ladies! I appreciate your input!

The previous posters are right. If it had excess lipase it would taste very bad. There is a bit of a different taste to thawed milk.
    Theresa
    LLL Leader