Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think I should do? Any advice is welcomed.

Default Re: What do you think I should do? Any advice is welcomed.

It's more work for them to get milk from the breast. You're not doing anything wrong. When you are breastfeeding, it's pretty common for young babies to nurse every 60 90 minutes. Your baby is accustomed to getting more milk faster from the bottle.

Good for you for getting her to nurse!!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

It really takes that long? Wow. I guess I need to find a good book and read while she is eating. I read some place that if a baby falls asleep at the breast they aren't getting enough to eat or not getting anything out. That doesn't seem right. Should I keep her awake or let her sleep and eat?

However, I have another problem that is fustrating me. Yesterday she would take the nipple shield, but today she wants nothing to do with it. Im not sure what to do. She only wants her bottles today.
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!

There just was no support the professionals i talked to just pushed BF and to keep trying. I stopped at 2 months I was having to suppliment with formula and I was only getting 2 onces or so. I had to use a sheild and I was pushed to not use it, because it was not as good as natural for release of the milk. I also was pumping and using the SNS through the shield, so that I was not using the bottle. My Lo would sleep and they told me to tickle cheaks and use cold wash cloths to keep him awake but to let him stay on as long as he wanted. I just was going stir crazy, I seemed to never leave my chair. I now have enough to feed him and I have 55 baggies with at least 4-6 oz each in them. BF would be easier but It didn't work for me. Maybe I didn't get the right help but I had to go with what I thought was best for me and the baby. BM by bottle was better than none at all. I thought about getting the shield out again to give it a try but Im not sure I want to go down that road again. I was told to walk while I fed him, spend lots of skin on skin and try feeding in the tub. I don't have any good answers just what I have been through, right or wrong. Be very proud of what you have done so far for your LO.

We had our 4month apt and he is now 14pounds 4oz 24.5'' long
    Last edited by @llli*glad2bamom; March 5th, 2010 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*smiles View Post
    It really takes that long? Wow. I guess I need to find a good book and read while she is eating. I read some place that if a baby falls asleep at the breast they aren't getting enough to eat or not getting anything out. That doesn't seem right. Should I keep her awake or let her sleep and eat?

However, I have another problem that is fustrating me. Yesterday she would take the nipple shield, but today she wants nothing to do with it. Im not sure what to do. She only wants her bottles today.
    I'm not sure? Young babies nurse often, I guess I didn't mean that it takes an hour or 90 minutes to feed them. Just that it's pretty common for them to nurse that frequently. The first 8 or 10 weeks I basically sat on the couch nursing the whole time.

My daughter still falls asleep nursing, it's very comforting. What you can do though, since you are worried about milk transfer is to start squeezing your breasts when she slows down eating. That should get her re-interested in eating because you are simulating a let down somewhat.

Sorry to hear that she won't take the breast today, but if you work at it, maybe she will eventually. And like other posters have said, it is possible to exclusively pump, although it is very hard.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I'm afraid I don't really have any advice, apart from - Perhaps she smells the milk on your breast to latch on properly?
    Maybe try hand expressing a little then try latch her on?
    I hope it all works out and best wishes..
    Mummy to 5 children under 6 years old.. I'm mad!
    My Non-Idenital Twin Girls were born on St Valentines Day 2010 by Emergency Caesarean Section.
    I'd just past 38 weeks and both babies were STILL transverse..! It just wasn't going to happen
    (I planned a home birth!)

My Topic is: HERE Please help if you can...!

Glad2bamom-
    That is very true. When I went looking for help on pumping after DD was born, the LC only wanted to help me try and latch. Yes that is her job, but still, I was already pumping and I needed some help. Nursing does seem to take a long time. I am not sure if I would be able to sit there for the time needed to nurse. Sometimes giving momma milk is so hard. I was wondering if a baby who has gotten EBM only would ever want to take from the breast. I tried the other day and she moved her hands as if she was going to hold the bottle, when she didn't feel her bottle, she moved and turned her face the other way. That hurt my feelings a bit.

mommy2lilah-
    The last couple of days she has rejected the breast. She won't even take the nipple shield. I pumped and then tried like krystine said, and she won't take it for anything. But if my baby girl does BF one day I will try thoes to wake her.

Twingirls-
    Congratulations on your girls. What a handful. Good luck to you on them. I have expressed milk for her to smell. She use to lick it off or put the nipple only in her mouth, but lately she wants nothing to do with the breast.
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!