Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think I should do? Any advice is welcomed.

Default What do you think I should do? Any advice is welcomed.

I know I have asked like 20 million questions about getting my baby girl to latch and breastfed from me, but I have another one.

Well I have been pumping for 3 months now. DD will latch every once in a while. But if I try to latch her for a feeding, she cries and cries, so I give her a bottle of EBM. Sometimes she will latch like she has been doing this all along and knows what she is doing, but that only happens if I have just pumped and put her on the breast. It is so frustrating and sucks for me when she fusses at me for trying to BF.

My question is should I just pump and give up on trying to latch? It wouldn't bother me to EP for how ever long I can. Also, if I am going to EP, should I get a faster flow on the bottle nipples. As of now, I still use the slowest flow.

Thanks ladies any advice or comment would be helpful.
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!

Default Re: What do you think I should do? Any advice is welcomed.

How old is she? Sixyearplan got her daughter back to the breast around 5 months old, I think. I bet you could find info on that if you search. It doesn't seem like she's been around in a while...
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Well I exclusively pumped for 3 months and my daughter did the same thing when I tried to nurse her. Have you tried a nipple shield? That's how we transitioned from just bottles to mostly nursing.
    Lily was born 10/08/2009
    Exclusively for first 3 months
    Now just fine, still for school
    for two weeks and now just for naps

I wouldn't give up. My LO wouldn't latch for months unless she was basically asleep and I still pump 8x day now but the times she does nurse are very sweet. Would you try napping or sleeping with her and see if she'd try when she's just waking up or asleep?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilys-mommy View Post
    Well I exclusively pumped for 3 months and my daughter did the same thing when I tried to nurse her. Have you tried a nipple shield? That's how we transitioned from just bottles to mostly nursing.
    That sounds like a great idea! You would have to still pump though, to make sure that you're making enough milk, right? And then you could wean off the shield.

I had to use a shield at first and was able to ditch it about two or three weeks later.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My girl is 3 months. I figured we missed our window to BF and will only take milk from a bottle. I will do some looking around for what sixyearplan has posted. She posted about it, I hope? I think that may be a ton of help. I would still pump because I donate milk.

I have tried the nipple shield. Coolcomom told me to give that another try. It worked a few times. I think I will have to try more often with it and maybe she will take to it with more use. Emotionally I fine it easier to just use a bottle after a few trys of BF not working.

I do co-sleep Krystine, and last night I tried nursing while we were in bed and all she did was fuss, I fed her from a bottle, pumped, when back to bed and tried to nurse again but all she wanted to do was put the nipple in her mouth to sleep.

For keeping at trying to BF! I gave up around 8 weeks....we were not making any progress so I just kept pumping. Anyway, EPing is manageable although the time involved and inconvenience can be a challenge.

Regarding, the bottle question, I would think that changing to faster nipples might make it more difficult if you are still trying to nurse. I think part of my challenge was that my LO got used to how easy bottles were and was a bit lazy....
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !

Great job on still trying to BF. Just remember it is your decision, I felt alot of pressure from the people I new to BF. Yes it would have been easier but it just wasnt working for me. I felt so guilty for giving up and choosing to EP. I had to for my sanity. EP creates other issues of time management but I still think it was the right choice for me. I did go to a stage 2 nipple and recently I tried to put him to the breast and he was mad instantly do to the fact he was used to the milk coming out asap. So if You can I would wait.

It is hard emotionally for sure. I hope you find some things that will work for you and your baby. We use a slow flow bottle but even that is so much easier than nursing and my baby knows it full well.

An idea I was given, don't know if it would work, but someone suggested pumping just a few minutes to get the let down and then nursing. No idea if that would help you but it might be worth a try.

I hope things improve very soon for you.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Cynn-
    First I want to say I wanna steal your signature. It is so simple and so true. I love it. I wanted to give up BF at the hospital and the LC was okay with that. She didn't even mention how much pumping sucks. She told me go for it. I figured maybe one day she would just figure it out and take from the breast. I don't mind sitting down for 15 or 20 mins to pump. I play with my DD or feed. Just before works isn't fun because I never feel like I have enough time to pump.

My boss had his son the same day as me, and at about 6 weeks old they gave him a faster flow nipple. They formula fed after 2 weeks of BF. I was wondering if it was time to change, but I will keep the nipples we have now. Should I ever change tem for her? When did you go to a faster flow?

Glad2bamom-
    What would make you feel guilty to EP. I feel embrassed because it looks like I was giving formula when I am so proud to give her my milk. When did you stop trying to BF?

Now I have another question. I got her to use a nipple shield. I have to express enough milk for her to get a drink so she will keep sucking. She takes forever to eat and after she falls alseep I get up, she'll wake up and still be hungry. Like this morning, she woke up at 3 I used the nipple sheild and feel back to sleep and woke back up at 4 and she was fussing and hungry. Could somethin g not be working right. It just seems that when I take her off, she is back eanting to eat.