Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trouble with freestyle

Default Trouble with freestyle

So I exclusively pumped 3 months with a pump in style and then about a month after I stopped exclusively pumping I got a freestyle (my pump in style was old and the motor was starting to go.)

My problem is the freestyle pumps more than the pump in style but no milk comes out for almost the first 10 minutes. Am I doing something wrong like not placing it right or is this just normal for the freestyle? It works really well but it just takes so long to start getting the milk out
    Lily was born 10/08/2009
    Exclusively for first 3 months
    Now just fine, still for school
    for two weeks and now just for naps

Default Re: Trouble with freestyle

Hi there!
    I'm not sure what model my Medela was but I had simular problems, and I found that it made me really really sore, So sore I cracked and bled!
    I hope someone in the know pops along soon for you, As I say, It took me a fair old while with my medela pump too..

Best of luck sweetie
    Mummy to 5 children under 6 years old.. I'm mad!
    My Non-Idenital Twin Girls were born on St Valentines Day 2010 by Emergency Caesarean Section.
    I'd just past 38 weeks and both babies were STILL transverse..! It just wasn't going to happen
    (I planned a home birth!)

My Topic is: HERE Please help if you can...!

I love my Freestyle! I also have a PIS from my first baby. I haven't experienced any problems, especially not like you mentioned! Have you called Medela? Maybe your pump has a specific problem?

I have the freestyle and I love it as much as I could love pumping.
    LOL I have been using it since oct 24, 2009 and EP for the past 2 months. I have not had that problem. Does there seem to be good suction? Sometimes I have to pull the tube out and put it back in or unsnap and resnap the clips.

I also had to get a different sized breastshield.
    http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...tshields-2pack

This helped with some of the ducts being blocked. As you noticed it suckels for 2 min and then a stronger suction. I then push the plus sign once wait a min or so and press again. I repeat this till it is a bit uncomfortable and I back off one. This is supposed to help flow. I vary from a setting of L6-L8

If all is well and you have tried pressing the plus sign to up the power for optimum output, then I would call medella.

This may all be repeat for you. Sorry if none of it helps.
    Good luck

about the dry parts. They have to be completely dry.

I have a problem w/ my Freestyle as well. I used a PISA for 3 mos, then switched to a Freestyle b/c I had to give my PISA back to my friend that loaned it to me. I've never gotten as good of an output (13-15oz versus 18-20), and it takes WAAAAY longer for the milk to come out (6-8 minutes became 15 at LEAST). I've gotten a new PISA from a different friend that isn't using it anymore and I'm switching back today.

But, as other posters have said, I have at least two people I know of that LOVE their Freestyles. I think it's an individual thing.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*GLAD2BAMOM View Post
    I have the freestyle and I love it as much as I could love pumping.
    LOL I have been using it since oct 24, 2009 and EP for the past 2 months. I have not had that problem. Does there seem to be good suction? Sometimes I have to pull the tube out and put it back in or unsnap and resnap the clips.

I also had to get a different sized breastshield.
    http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...tshields-2pack

This helped with some of the ducts being blocked. As you noticed it suckels for 2 min and then a stronger suction. I then push the plus sign once wait a min or so and press again. I repeat this till it is a bit uncomfortable and I back off one. This is supposed to help flow. I vary from a setting of L6-L8

If all is well and you have tried pressing the plus sign to up the power for optimum output, then I would call medella.

This may all be repeat for you. Sorry if none of it helps.
    Good luck
    I agree it is a different for everyone. I have been pumping 7 times a day and I get 28-38 oz a day. Sometimes I do to much walking around and trying to get houseworkdone, dont drink enough water, or fall asleep while pumping I believe this is when the amounts have been lower for me. I suggested this model to my bestfriend I hope she has the luck I do with it. They are a lot of money to have to buy a different model. I hope all works out for you, we all are a slave sometimes to the pump. I do pump longer than some. While I get milk right away it takes 30-40min for me to pump that much milk.
    Last edited by @llli*GLAD2BAMOM; March 10th, 2010 at 06:09 AM.