Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: half jar vs. whole jar per meal?

Default half jar vs. whole jar per meal?

DS is a little over 6 months old and he is on EBM but gets solids once in the morning and once in the evening. For the evening meal I've been feeding him half a jar (or small plastic container - Gerber) of the first foods. But today I found out from the daycare provider that she gave him a whole one for breakfast.

I don't want our breastfeeding relationship to stop. Will serving him a half serving vs. whole threaten it?
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    WOHM! Nursed both boys to 14 months!
    Student Doula with Childbirth International
    Wisconsin!

Default Re: half jar vs. whole jar per meal?

I think while he's at the daycare, it would be fine, since he's not nursing from you at that time to begin with. I would think 1/2 serving at night is fine, as long as he is satisfied with his feedings (nursings) and gaining weight well.

I have no personal experience with this (DS is 6 months and not on solids yet) so this is just purely my opinion. I'm sure someone else will come along who has some experience.

Good luck!

I think so long as they daycare provier isn't force-feeding him, so long as he'll eat the solids and seems to want them, then it should be fine. You might want to consider letting him have all his soilds while he is at daycare so the two of you can focus on just nursing while you are together. Solids start to be a problem if baby starts to nurse less, starts making less wet diapers, or starts to have hard or dry poops.

However, if you only want him to have half a jar of food at this point, simply tell your daycare provider this. He certainly doens't need the whole jar! lol She needs to follow your wishes with your child and if you ask that he only be fed 1/2 jar of food, then it is her job to do that as you asked.

I agree with the pps. I allow my dcp to give dd as much solid food as she wants to eat...but not to force or coerce her into eating more. And...right now I am having a hard time keeping up with her intake with just breastmilk, so I figure, if some good solids are keeping her going, then I can not worry so much about how much milk I produce. I make most of her solids myself, and its really very easy.

Now, on the weekends and in the evenings, I don't feed her any solids, except a few for her to feed herself when we are eating as a family...this, in my mind, helps to boost my supply for the coming work week.

But again, if you don't want your lo eating that much, be sure and have that discussion with your dcp!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I would stick with full jar in AM and 1/2 jar in PM for now.
    Margaret and
    DS 2/06 nursed x1yr
    and DD 3/08, so far so good!