Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping for my 14month old

Default Pumping for my 14month old

Hi Ladies,
    I need help. I am a working (not by choice) mom and I am still pumping for my 14 month old. Lately though I dread it. I think I am ready to give it up since now I can oly get 2oz a day if I am lucky. But I feel guilty about stoping, like I should keep going even though I dont produce much anymore. I still want to breastfeed in the morning and night and on the weekends when we are together but if I stop pumping, will I totally dry up or will my body adjust to produce in the morning and evening? Thanks! Any comments and help is much appreciated

Default Re: Pumping for my 14month old

oh yeah.. if your toddler is doing good with soilds
    and nurseing well 3-4 other times during 24 hours, you don't have to worry about milk subs.
    My dd nursed for nap bed and 1st thing it the morning for a year maybe closer to 2 years.

Isn't it funny how hard it is to give up pumping? You can stop, it will be ok. I stopped when Lilah was about 13 months. She eats solids and drinks some cow's milk during the day, but mostly water. She nurses all night long (it feels like), at night and in the morning. We nurse all day on weekends and days that we're together. I feel a little full on Mondays, especially if it's been a really long weekend or something, but so far I haven't had any problems with plugged ducts. And the milk is always there when she needs it.

Your baby is lucky to have you for a mom.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

You can stop pumping. I stopped when my lo was 13 mos and we continued to nurse until she was almost 2. Your body is well adjusted at this point and will basically provide milk as needed. Somehow my boobs always knew when it was saturday.

You might want to cut the pumping sessions one by one or if you're not getting much during the day you could just stop and keep the pump around in case you get engorged.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    oh yeah.. if your toddler is doing good with soilds
    and nurseing well 3-4 other times during 24 hours, you don't have to worry about milk subs.
    My dd nursed for nap bed and 1st thing it the morning for a year maybe closer to 2 years.

Thank you so much! My goal is to make it past 2 years

flu season kept us nursing when I didn't feal like it some days!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Isn't it funny how hard it is to give up pumping? You can stop, it will be ok. I stopped when Lilah was about 13 months. She eats solids and drinks some cow's milk during the day, but mostly water. She nurses all night long (it feels like), at night and in the morning. We nurse all day on weekends and days that we're together. I feel a little full on Mondays, especially if it's been a really long weekend or something, but so far I haven't had any problems with plugged ducts. And the milk is always there when she needs it.

Your baby is lucky to have you for a mom.
    Aww thank you Yes it is! Thank you for your help, I feel much better. My DD also nurses a lot at night so hopefully that will help keep me going.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    You can stop pumping. I stopped when my lo was 13 mos and we continued to nurse until she was almost 2. Your body is well adjusted at this point and will basically provide milk as needed. Somehow my boobs always knew when it was saturday.

You might want to cut the pumping sessions one by one or if you're not getting much during the day you could just stop and keep the pump around in case you get engorged.
    Thanks for the hugs! I had no idea trying to stop would be so emotionally difficult! Thats a great idea about keeping my pump with me incase I need it. Thank you so much