Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at Work

Default Pumping at Work

Pumping at my office is rather comical. I have stand in the ladies bathroom at the sink so I can plug in my pump. I don't have a private office, I share with 2 other men. Needless to say there are not many women in my office. But the ones that are, I get weird looks from most of them when I am pumping in the bathroom. A few said they remember those days but most look at me like I am weird and just hogging up space in front of a sink. I try not to go during busy times and such. Ugh, just frustrated.

Default Re: Pumping at Work

Depending on where you live, your employer is required to provide you with space to pump that IS NOT a bathroom. Have you spoke to HR about possible alternatives? And empty conference room or borrowing someone's private office? I know it depends a great deal on the kind of office you work in, but there may be something you could do differently. I know that some women get the car adaptor and put up a sunsheild and pump in their cars.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Let it roll off mama. Remind yourself that you are doing the completely normal thing and feeding your baby normal food. Those ladies have nothing on you. I find when I get stressed about this kind of stuff that all I need is to come to this forum for a lift and a hug. So mama. Your babies nutrition is so much more important.

ETA: and with Paige. Can you talk to your HR person?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I had to do that for a little while. While I was in there, it always turned into a busy bathroom! I know just what you mean. I had three classes of women that came in there. The first would very studiously stare at the floor or the ceiling or the sink, and avoid looking in my direction completely. The second would look, see what I was doing, and then talk to me with the "I don't miss those days. . . etc". The third would do their damnedest to look at me to figure out what I was doing and then look embarrassed when I spoke to them with a smile.

Funny stuff. You just do what you have to do. If you have to bring an extension cord, to reach a stall, do it. If you have to bring a chair in there, do it. If you have to put a sign on the door warning the other women that a pumping session is going on, do it. BUT first you really should talk to HR about a more private place. Even if it's a store room. Most states have a guideline law for this kind of thing.

Oklahoma law concerning breastfeeding and work starts with:

Title 40, Section 435 (effective 11/1/06)

SECTION 1. A. An employer may provide reasonable unpaid break time each day to an employee who needs to breast-feed or express breast milk for her child to maintain milk supply and comfort. The break time, if possible, shall run concurrently with any break time, paid or unpaid, already provided to the employee. An employer is not required to provide break time under this section if to do so would create an undue hardship on the operations of the employer.
    B. An employer may make a reasonable effort to provide a private, secure, and sanitary room or other location in close proximity to the work area, other than a toilet stall, where an employee can express her milk or breast-feed her child.
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount