Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Experience w/LetDown

Default Strange Experience w/LetDown

I have been b/f my 5-week old since birth and have been having much success. But I am curious about something. I have never experienced the FEELING of the let-down reflex in my breast. I understand that is the experience of many and that there is nothing to worry about if you don't feel it. I have, however, felt a tingling on my BACK when it lets down. I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced this or knows of anyone else that has. I am not really worried about anything, just curious, I guess. I get pins and needles kind of feeling in the middle of my back when she nurses. And it is not the position we are in, since I nurse in many positions (sitting on couch, lounge chair, lying down, etc.) and it happens in all positions. I just find it kind of odd . . . .

Thanks
    Lee

Default Re: Strange Experience w/LetDown

Lee, Congrats on your wee one being 5 KS old. You know I do not have an answerer for you, but I will say that I did not feel the "let down" for a while until someone mentioned it to me. Then and now I have a very noticeable "let down". I am looking forward to hearing other responses. Have a great day!

Ok quickly, just talking to a friend on mine who nursed twins and she said that she also on occasion would also feel that sensation in her back. ???

This is really interesting. I've never heard of getting sensation in your back with letdown, but it doesn't strike me as particularly odd -- and certainly not alarming in any way. This must be your own "normal."

When my son nursed, I would sometimes feel a tickling sensation in the roof of my mouth. I think the nervous system is "wired" in ways that can produce sensations in apparently unrelated places.

--Rebecca

Wow ladies, thanks so much for the speedy replies!

It is very interesting . . . . all the variations we have among us.

I just find it very strange that my back feels the let down, as opposed to my breasts.

I also do not leak at all. Again, I've been told this is nothing to worry about since babe is doing great with weight/diaper output, etc.

I guess my nature is to look a gift horse in the mouth. .. . . . I should be thankful everything is working well for us and that I am not having to deal with breast pads, etc. As a first time mom, I guess I was just anticipated being a leaky faucet all the time and having the let down sensation.

Thanks for your responses!

Lee

When I was seeing a lactation consultant who's also a nurse practitioner, she said a warm shower with the water hitting you in the back before nursing could help with let down, since the nerve endings that are involved are actually in your back. Strange, but I definitely noticed early on that I started leaking a LOT in the shower because of that and would time feedings accordingly. So, if that's true, it makes sense that you might feel tingling there.

Congrats on the new baby! Enjoy it while it lasts, I feel like I just blinked and suddenly my DD was a toddler!!!

I often have sensations in my back when nursing, usually just below my shoulder blades. When DB was a newborn, it could be quite sharp & painful. Now it's a dull ache or tingling, sometimes like goosebumps rising quickly. My LC also told me about the nerves that run around to the back, so I imagine that's what it is.

Sometimes my under arms itch when ds eats?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Brittan
    Sometimes my under arms itch when ds eats?!?

i get the same thing! i always thought it was my shirt or something.
    i also get the pns and needle in both breasts BUT no leaks.

rachael

I was told that it was not related to breast feeding but I too would get the pain in my back when dd would latch. Now I get it from time to time and hardly notice it. What my dh thinks is funny is when dd latches and the other side leaks. But that is life and we are all different. I just hope your back pain is not to painfull. Congrats!!