Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing ALL the time!

Default Nursing ALL the time!

My five day old son seems to want to eat all time time. I will nurse him on both sides and often one feeding can last 30-45 mins. I think he's getting enough milk as I can hear him gulping and has many pees and poos every day ( mostly pee.) After a 30-45 min feeding he will want to nurse AGAIN pretty much right away, sometimes I have to put him back on in 15 mins and sometimes once or twice a day he'll go a whole hour. Is this normal?

Default Re: Nursing ALL the time!

Hi Sarain!

Congratulations on your sweet new baby boy! I want to reassure you that what you are describing sounds very normal! Nursing a newborn is a full-time job and then some! I can tell from your post that you are nursing him on cue, and that is exactly what you should be doing. Newborns grow at an amazing rate, and they need an almost constant source of calories. You mention that you hear him gulping and that he has very frequent wet diapers. These are excellent signs that he is getting enough to eat!

Such frequent nursing sessions benefit you too. At 5 days post partum, your body is still very much recovering from childbirth. Having to nurse your baby "forces" you to sit or lay down often and get the rest that you need. It's also helping your uterus to return to it's normal size (you may have noticed some cramping).

For now, just cuddle up with your baby and enjoy him! Housework and other things like that can wait. Before too much longer, he'll probably start to space his feedings out a little longer. And before you know it, he'll be busy and just stopping in for quick nursing sessions. It does get easier!

Here is a great story by another mother who had a baby who nursed frequently: http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/Law45.html

Once again, congratulations.
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I am going through the same thing right now. We are 9 days post.
    I was told the baby is still establishing your milk supply and if you milk hasn't already come in (maybe it has) the feeding will slow down once that happens.
    The milk will satisfy him longer. My son will go up to three hours sometimes now. Yet sometimes it's only an hour when he cluster feeds.

I feel for you. Hang in there

I understand where both you ladies are coming from. I didn't nurse my son that often when he was first born. But now almost 7 weeks later, he has decided that it's time to nurse every hour on the hour. I find it very hard being that I have a 3 and a half year old, and also 28 month old as well. For you ladies it's going through establishing a milk supply. However with me I'm not so sure why other than a growth spurt. Just hang in there and everything will get better in time. When I nursed my son after he was 3 months old, I could count on the clock when he would need to feed next. There were a few exceptions if it was an extremely hot day. Best advice, it will get better just hang in there.

Sarain,

I think I wore a hole through the sofa in the living room with my first son!! He nursed in a way similar to your own baby. Eirik nursed about 45 minutes and took maybe a 15 minute break and nursed another 45 minutes. It was exhausting for me! (Funny how sitting still on a sofa can be exhausting, LOL)

Your baby may "outgrow" this style of nursing, in time. Most likely, this won't go on indefinitely. It is also important to keep in mind that while mother's milk does provide perfect nutrition for baby, he will be nursing to meet his emotional needs as well. Some babies seem to need to be near mom in that capacity more than other babies, especially in the first few weeks of life. That, too, is normal! Babies have an amazing, built-in ability to meet their needs as we follow their cues. He may even be nursing for reasons you aren't aware of. For most mothers it can be challenging to adjust to being so near a baby for such prolonged periods of time. Three cheers for you, a mother, a nurturer!

Certainly, both of you are adjusting to some major new changes and bonding with each other. You may find that around 6-8 weeks post partum, things seem to "get better" . Asking for and accepting help with housecleaning and meals are important right now so you can be free to simply do what's most important for you and your baby: spend time together. Try to make some time each day to take care of yourself (ie: shower, hehe), call a friend, listen to soothing music or whatever keeps your mood up. The most important thing for you is to nurse your baby and take good care of yourself. Congratulations on becoming a new mother...take care!

WarmLLLy,
    Eve

Try to remember EVERYTHING is a phase and while it is going on it feels like it will be like this forever, but it soon changes; often into something equally as annoying/tiring/maddening but at least different! Ha!

Congrats on your little one!

My baby girl (now 6 months) nursed all the time too! I literally did not leave our living room chair for hours at a time. While I was going through it, it was so terrible. But now I am back at work (pumping as I type this!) and I miss those long afternoons of doing nothing but cuddling my baby and watching her little mouth suckle. It seems hard to believe now (I couldn't believe it at the time ), but you will have good memories of this! So just enjoy and establish a bond with your little one. Time flies too fast...

I just wanted to add that baby's find not only nourishment at the breast but also comfort. Some babies have a strong need to suck. Other babies do not. It is not uncommon for a breastfed baby to need to nurse almost constantly, if not constantly.

Also, I am a firm believer in this being nature's way of making us slow down and do nothing but care for our newborn's. Mother's tend to not put enough weight into recovering from childbirth. I always found that sitting down to nurse a baby and read a book to be one of the most enjoyable and relaxing times of the day. Boy how I miss those days of nursing a newborn! It was honestly the best "excuse" in the world to just sit down and relax. Do try to enjoy this time -- it won't last long!

Have you considered trying out a sling? If you can get the hang of nursing in a sling then you can have some mobility -- perhaps to fold a load of laundry or something similiar.

The best thing you can do is simply allow your baby to meet all of his sucking needs at the breast. You're doing a fantastic job! Congratulations on your new little bundle - keep up the good work, Mama!

My son was like this as a newborn. It does get better! His time between feedings stretched out eventually... although he would revert to constant nursing during growth spurts. He has always had a great need to comfort nurse, and it still is his preferred method of falling asleep. I found it helped to sit in a comfy chair and have everything around me that I would need... a book to read, the remote control to the tv, lots of water to drink, and a snack nearby helps. I also made sure to go to the bathroom right before we settled in to nurse!

Congratulations on your new baby!

Boy does that sound familiar! My dh used to tease that I was using nursing as an excuse to sit and read (ok...so there were some rare occasions that it was and still is- LOL). You sound like you are doing a great job and have gotten lots of good advise on the pp. I second the sling thing, even if you can get up and go for a walk (if you are somewhere warm) or even move around the house a little while still nursing, it makes you feel less 'tied down'. Do take time for yourself if you can and accept all the help that is offered (let people throw in a load of laundry or bring you dinner!). This is such a special bond that you are developing and you won't regret it! Congrats! Being a mother is the most awe inspiring, all encompassing, hardest, most wonderful thing that can ever happen to a woman! You are doing a wonderful job of completing the cycle and transitioning your ds from the womb to the world through bf. It is a symbiotic relationship that is well worth the effort. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi