Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 month old STILL not interested in eating

Default Re: 10 month old STILL not interested in eating

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*new.baby.girl View Post
    Hi everyone,

A related question to this thread; if my baby is not eating solid foods, does she need iron or fluoride supplements? My pediatrician mentioned that giving her cereal would fulfill both of these needs (iron in the cereal, fluoride in the water it's mixed with), but she won't eat the cereal (or anything else, for that matter).

Thanks!
    Did they check her iron levels and were they low? The short answer is no. And I've never heard that about the fluoride... when I gave Lilah cereal it was always mixed with breast milk. Why would you use water?

Here's some info on iron:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

and here's some info on other vitamins/minerals:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi.../vitamins.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nursingmom View Post
    So, today Matthew ate and enjoyed Red Pepper Hummus! Maybe the food I had given him before was too bland for his taste I eat a lot of spicy food so he must too. I know he may refuse it the next time, but it's a step in the right direction!
    That sounds great! My DS#1 also likes spicy food. I also wanted to add that transitioning to solid food for some children is an extremely slow process. My DS#1 didn't really start to eat solids until around his first birthday and that was maybe a bite or two but now that he is almost two I can barely fill him up. He eats so much now you would have never thought that he started out so slow with solids! Hang in there!
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11

No, they haven't checked her iron levels. It was just something we were talking about at her 6-month check-up because I had read in "Super Baby Food" that babies need iron supplementation starting at 6 months.

As far as the fluoride goes, I was told that it's important for their incoming teeth (both by her doctor and I read something about it in "Super Baby Food"). I've been mixing the cereal with water anyway because I don't have enough breastmilk right now to use that instead (separate problem). She doesn't like it, though, so I may just hold off on solid foods until I get my supply back up.

Thanks for the links regarding the iron and other vitamins!

I had read in "Super Baby Food" that babies need iron supplementation starting at 6 months.
    They should probably change that to "some babies need iron supplementation starting at 6 months." And it's true: some breastfed babies do become anemic due to the (relatively) low iron content of their diets. But many do not. The recommendation is there to protect that fraction of babies who become anemic- but for many breastfed babies it leads to iron supplements and high-iron solids being pushed harder than they need to be.

As far as the fluoride goes, I was told that it's important for their incoming teeth (both by her doctor and I read something about it in "Super Baby Food").
    I wouldn't worry much about the fluoride, either. There's no critical interval for fluoride to do its work- it's going to do more or less the same job at 1 year or 3 years as it would do at under a year. And again, the recommendation on flouride is there for those kids who have an unusual need for it- perhaps due to weak enamel or because they're getting lots of sugary foods. Most breastfed babies aren't going to require it.

If you're concerned about your baby's teeth, you might want to start introducing a baby toothbrush or wiping down her teeth with a clean washcloth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"