Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 month old STILL not interested in eating

Default 10 month old STILL not interested in eating

So, is it normal that my 10 mo still isn't interested in eating? All he does with the food we give him is throw it on the floor...we pick it up...he throws it etc...fun game Anyway, is it normal that he doesn't want to eat? He nurses a lot still. When we first give him a piece of banana or a slice of pear he will put it in his mouth but then just throws it on the floor. After that, he doesn't even try to put one in his mouth (we give him a new one or rinse off the one that was on the floor). Other babies his age seem to be eating WAY more food.

He is very active...crawling, walking along the furniture etc... which I would think would make him more hungry.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Default Re: 10 month old STILL not interested in eating

Silas has zero interest in eating. he's 9 mos and will only eat applesauce and puffs. he tries a lot of things once but then not again. we will think he likes something like rice or black beans and then he will never eat it again. I'm sure it's normal but it's totally frustrating. I worry he won't eat foods when he needs to too when my milk is no longer giving him all he needs. So in short, I could have written your post and am anxiously awaiting your replies.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

What you describe sounds normal to me, because my kid was the same way. She really didn't eat much of anything other than breastmilk and the odd piece of floor dirt until she was around 14-15 months old, and it clearly didn't do her a lick of harm, since she was always maxing out the percentiles for height and weight and was right on track for developmental milestones.

My pediatrician told me that until the age of 1 year, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills, and are not nutritionally necessary. After the first birthday, solids become an important component of the baby's diet, but the transition to a majority-solids diet may be a slow one. It's not like babies go to sleep on day 364 needing only breastmilk, and wake up on day 365 needing a ton of solids.

So yeah, a lot of babies are eating way more solids that a lick of banana, but lots aren't. It sounds like you are doing exactly what my pediatrician would recommend- allowing solids to be a fun game, letting your baby take the lead and show you when he's done or when he wants more, and letting milk make up the majority of his diet.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

my LO does the exact same game!
    he's got food sensitivities too,I heard that babies with food adversions tend to start solids later...so I just wait and sweep the floor!
    he's 9.5 and has never eaten more than a lentil or a banana molecule!
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zplum View Post
    Silas has zero interest in eating. he's 9 mos and will only eat applesauce and puffs. he tries a lot of things once but then not again. we will think he likes something like rice or black beans and then he will never eat it again. I'm sure it's normal but it's totally frustrating. I worry he won't eat foods when he needs to too when my milk is no longer giving him all he needs. So in short, I could have written your post and am anxiously awaiting your replies.
    I think this is the key thing. When your milk is no longer enough for him, he will want something else. But while he can get enough of it, and it is meeting his emotional needs, he's satisfied. Once he's not totally fulfilled by the nursing/breastmilk experience, he'll branch out. Really.

Oh, and Wyatt only ate solids a couple of times a week, maybe until he was about 1, and that was only because I thought it was something I should offer. He couldn't have cared less. And even after 1, he didn't go up to eating solids every day for a while. Even at 18 months, I sometimes forgot about giving him solids some days. Don't worry about it. If they want solids, you'll know. And if they don't want solids, it's because their needs are being met with your milk.

(standard disclaimer about weight gain and developmental milestones and diaper output, etc)
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    I think this is the key thing. When your milk is no longer enough for him, he will want something else. But while he can get enough of it, and it is meeting his emotional needs, he's satisfied. Once he's not totally fulfilled by the nursing/breastmilk experience, he'll branch out. Really.

Oh, and Wyatt only ate solids a couple of times a week, maybe until he was about 1, and that was only because I thought it was something I should offer. He couldn't have cared less. And even after 1, he didn't go up to eating solids every day for a while. Even at 18 months, I sometimes forgot about giving him solids some days. Don't worry about it. If they want solids, you'll know. And if they don't want solids, it's because their needs are being met with your milk.

(standard disclaimer about weight gain and developmental milestones and diaper output, etc)

I love a gentle reminder.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

The previous posters are correct. Breast milk is all they need for the first year Just keep offering and eventually he will start eating. I know it's very hard not to compare your little one to others.
    Theresa
    LLL Leader

my DD is 11 mos and not into food. I offer and she throws just as you describe. She will eat a few cheeerios, puffs...and maybe a spoon of baby food. I give her pancake and she plays wtih it, banana, plays with it and then throws on the floor!

It can be frustrating, but in a way I am glad she still wants to nurse as her main food source. They will be eating us out of house and home before we know it!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

So, today Matthew ate and enjoyed Red Pepper Hummus! Maybe the food I had given him before was too bland for his taste I eat a lot of spicy food so he must too. I know he may refuse it the next time, but it's a step in the right direction!
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Hi everyone,

A related question to this thread; if my baby is not eating solid foods, does she need iron or fluoride supplements? My pediatrician mentioned that giving her cereal would fulfill both of these needs (iron in the cereal, fluoride in the water it's mixed with), but she won't eat the cereal (or anything else, for that matter).

Thanks!