Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: To start or not to start?

Default To start or not to start?

So that's the question..... my LO is six months. We have been doing rice cereal infrequently over the last month or so (once maybe twice a week). The pedi wants her to be having three meals a day by the age of nine months. Doesn't that seem like a lot? What about my BFing? LO could careless about a spoon with food on it. She gets a little constipated with the cereal unless we use prune juice in it.... All I know is that I don't want to decrease my milk so LO can eat some applesauce. I think we are going to take it very slow...but when did your LOs start solids? Please help me not feel bad because I want to delay solids/or at least go very slow with them ... even when my doctor told me otherwise.

Default Re: To start or not to start?

We started at 8 months and it was only experimenting until about a year. Then it still took her about another 4 months until she really got the hang of it.

Want my opinion? Ditch the cereal. There is nothing substantial in it and if you are saying it constipates, that would be enough for me. I'd start with some foods that have nutrients. Our firsts were carrot, sweet potato, avocado, apple, banana, green beans and melon. I never ever pureed anything or even mashed it, unless it was naturally that way like oatmeal and sweet potato. Check out some of the other threads about baby led weaning. And don't let your doctor scare you into forcing them before your little one is ready.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

The pedi wants her to be having three meals a day by the age of nine months. Doesn't that seem like a lot?
    For some babies, yes! Some babies get interested in solids early, and will happily accept 3 meals per day. Others don't have much interest, and will continue to be mostly breastfed well into their second year. My pediatrician would tell you that until age 1, breastmilk (or formula) is all that it required to meet a child's nutritional needs. Until that age, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. So IMHO, 3 meals per day are not a requirement- they're a suggestion.

What about my BFing?
    Nurse first, offer solids after. That should help keep breastmilk as the mainstay of your baby's diet.

LO could careless about a spoon with food on it.
    You might want to put the spoon away, and allow your baby to self-feed. Just put some healthy solids on your baby's tray and let her get them into her mouth if she wants, or play with them if she doesn't. Either way it's a positive learning experience.

She gets a little constipated with the cereal unless we use prune juice in it....
    Aside from the fact that rice cereal is fortified with vitamins and minerals, there's no need to give cereal at all, and since it can make babies constipated, there's a good reason not to. Many moms start with fruits and veggies instead of cereals.

I think we are going to take it very slow...but when did your LOs start solids?
    We started at 6 months. DD showed almost no interest in eating solids until she was around 14-15 months old. She was always in the higher percentiles for weight and height, and today is a very good, not particularly picky eater.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I say just follow your LO's lead...I'm just starting solids with my second (5 months) and am only trying it every few days to see how she does and so far each time she's shown me she's not that interested and not ready even though she's showing all the other signs of readiness. There is no need to hurry. You may be surprised, though, that once they do discover that they like food, it does become easy to do the three meals a day. It all of a sudden becomes natural to have the baby eat when the rest of the family eats, and most of the time (at least with my first), she really didn't eat very much at a time, it was just more for the experience and fun. I do make my own food and spoon feed, but try to let my baby take the lead. For instance, I don't play games to try to get them to open their mouth, or worry if they only eat one bite or no bite. If they open their mouth for more, then I give them more. I liked to feed my first in her exercauser and once she started seeming more interested in all the toys than the food, I figured she was done.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    For some babies, yes! Some babies get interested in solids early, and will happily accept 3 meals per day.
    Just watch your LO. She'll show you when she's ready for more. My DD is 7.5 months and would happily eat three meals plus about seventeen snacks of cheerios, etc a day. Honestly, this girl loves to feed herself. It is a real struggle to get her to nurse because she just bites me to show me she has no interest. Ouch! (But, I make her anyway )

So, don't worry if your LO isn't quite interested yet and don't feel like you instantly have to force three meals on her. At least she still wants to nurse ... you're luckier than me!
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).

We started at 5 1/2 months...because T seemed ready to try. He loved it and was way more ready than I had been anticipating.

I took it very slow with him...and I didn't start with cereal. He eats cereal now, though, but oatmeal and not the rice.

The pedi recommended 2 meals a day right now and although I would prefer not to, DH wants to do 2 a day...so...it's a compromise type thing: breakfast and lunch for now...but once he stops acting interested (sometimes that's even before his first bite) I put it away and either come back to it a little later or just forget it for that day. Despite what many peds say it's not necessary for nutrition right now...so it IS okay to take it slow and just follow your baby's cues. Now, if I tried explaining that to DH.... But yeah. Follow your baby's cues. Maybe your LO will actually take to eating solids very well, like mine.

Oh, and we still nursies at LEAST 5 times a day right now. Sometimes he'll only nursie if I offer, and sometimes he shows me that he wants it. Every day is different, just like it is with me or you.
    Last edited by @llli*tristansmiles; February 28th, 2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: forgot something

Breastfeeding my 4 year old