Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop Question

Question Poop Question

In the last 3-4 days i have noticed my ds's (5wks old) poops have changed from the textured (mustard seed) poops to loose with no texture and sometimes even water poops. the color is still yellow no green or blood at all. is this fairly normal. i always thought that bf'd babies had that yellow seedy poop.

rachael

Default Re: Poop Question

My baby has been having exactly the same thing (she's three months old). I think it's normal. She's been gaining weight normally, and seems just fine.

tks for the reassurance heather-ds is also gaining weight and seems happy and content!

rachael

Poop can vary tremendously in texture and color but still be normal.

I've read that when a baby has diarrhea, the poop looks like apple juice poured straight into the diaper. That can be a useful guide for determining what's up with the really watery stools.

If she seems to feel fine and has no symptoms of illness, she's probably okay.

--Rebecca

DS's poops changed in texture around that time as well. I think that your ds is fine as long as there aren't any other changes that you are noticing. Ds's poops also became darker as he got older. My doctor said as long as his bowel movements are yellow to yellow/brown and soft/liquidy then he is fine.

My ds went through that exact same thing. It's extremely alarming to see cause I bf my other two children and never experienced it at all. With my third child I did. I found that it's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about as long as it's yellow. If you start noticing green or blood then definately come back and you'll find lots of help with those kinds of issues as well. Good luck.