Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone take Sarafem while BF

Default Anyone take Sarafem while BF

Insert says no no while BF but OB and my sons Ped say OK?

I so conflicted.

Default Re: Anyone take Sarafem while BF

In an effort to cover their hiney's, drug manufacturer's always put that disclaimer in the drug packaging insert. Mainly because none of them do any testing of their drug in nursing women. But Dr. Thomas Hale does a lot of pharmacology research and he publishes a book called "Medications and Mother's Milk" that lists hundreds and hundreds of drugs and their relative safety (or lack thereof). It's possible that your OB and son's pediatrician have consulted this book and that's where they're getting their information from.

That said, if you will post the name of the drug, I can look it up in Hale's and tell you what Lactation Risk Category it is. Sarafem is not shown so it might be listed under a different name (or not researched at all which is why it's not showing up).

Dr. Hale also has medication's forums where you can look up the drug and see what he has to say directly about it. http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-b...s&access=guest If that doesn't work, just go to the main link, click on "Medications Forums" and enter as a guest. Then do a search for your specific drug.

HTH!

It's Prozac-however I did read stuff on his site and it is conflicting too....Some cases he says OK and some he says to use Zolft because it barely passes into milk????

Zoloft is Dr. Hale's preferred antidepressant, yes and for the reason you mentioned above. Prozac is a LRC L2 in older infants and a L3 in neonates while Zoloft is a L2.

If you are uncomfortable with the Sarafem/Prozac, could you ask your doctor for Zoloft instead?

I could but I think cause I'm not "depressed" rather hacve a severe case of PMDD that Sarafem is preferred or know to worl better. You had mentioned in older infants it was a L2 just as Zoloft is and my son is 9 months old now. So I wonder if there both just as safe being he is older?

According to Hale, your son would be considered "older". He defines an older infant as one who is 4-6 months or older. This is what he says about the age of baby being important when taking Prozac:

Use in older infants (4-6 months or older) is far less hazardous because they can metabolize and excrete the medication more rapidly.
    You might want to call your doctor and discuss your concerns with him about this. He may be able to show you literature that will set your mind at ease.

Thank you so much Carol. Have you know personaly women who have taken Prozac successfuly for PMDD?