Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how do you let baby self feed?

Default how do you let baby self feed?

i spoon feed the little guy but after reading some posts i see that some moms let their babies feed themselves. how does that work? my baby tries to grab the spoon anyway, so i thought maybe he would enjoy putting the food in his mouth himself, without the spoon. but i am just curious how other moms do it. any advice?
    thanks!

Default Re: how do you let baby self feed?

Put suitable food on a place mat in front of baby.

Let baby explore the food and maybe eat some.

Guidelines document

great blog with lots of advice / resources
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Here is a fantastic article about doing Baby Led Solids, or letting baby feed himself.

The way I did it was just offering baby the food and letting her either eat it or not! It's really that simple. Of course you have to prepare the food safely and watch baby closely while s/he is eating.

This approach is best for babies that are displaying ALL the signs of being developmentally ready for solids:

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:

* Baby can sit up well without support.
    * Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    * Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    * Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    * Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I makes sure my LO is sitting and put suitable sized/cooked pieces on her high chair.. at first it was really messy she didn't really eat a lot and would just throw it...now she eats tons ( usually whats off my plate) and whatever she does throw our dogs are more then happy to eat off the floor with yogurt i started by pre loading the spoon and she would grab it and feed herself, now she dips it or smears it about and eats it with her hands. with soups ( she loves home made soups) she drinks it right out of a little cup .. we tried the spoon thing but she got so frustrated she couldn't get any in that we started doing this and it's been working.... i've also noticed a huge improvement in her pincher grip
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

cook yourself food, give some to your child, see how they get on! expect mess, try anything easy to eat with no/few teeth, maybe start with just ripe soft fruit or veg cooked til it's got a bit of give to it. I love it as does the small boy! think it gives them a sense of independence and capability. But don't get scared about the whole gagging thing. It's good for them to learn how to manipulate food it their mouths but it does look a bit freaky
    Art student and Mummy to Luca born 12th June 09 and Elidi 18th of May 11
    How can time go quite so fast