Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: choking

Default choking

my son is 7.5 months old and loves eating his solids, usually homemade purees. i've tried starting him on finger foods, but he just chokes on them, which scares the beejees out of me. he loves to chew up a cracker, but if he doesn't manage to spit it all out and tries to swallow it, he gags. i tried sliced avocado, toast, and pear slices, too, and he even choked on the avocado.

shouldn't he be doing better at it by now?
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

Default Re: choking

hmm, do you think maybe it's a textural thing? Meaning he's gagging because he just doesn't like the feeling so he's not allowing it down yet? I'd say you've got plenty of time though. We didn't even introduce a solid until 8 months and MK didn't get the hang of it, or start to get nutrients from it, until she was like 14-15 months old. Right now it's about getting him use to the texture. Keep trying, but don't get stressed if he doesn't take to it yet. And no need to be that scared. Obviously his gag reflexes are working great. Trust you created a body that works properly
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

thanks for the encouragement! i just keep reading about these babies who have finger foods down by now, and it would be really nice to be able to take some cheerios or something with us when we go out to keep him happy. but i'll keep being patient. thanks again!
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

Gagging is totally normal and is different from choking. My little man went through about a month of gagging when he ate, often vomiting from it. This is after I had to stop giving him solids for a couple of months and started reintroducing them when he was 11 mos old, so I know physically he was capable of eating. He just wasn't used to having solid food in his mouth and swallowing it. I'd keep offering, but let him feed it to himself. He'll likely gag it up and then stick it right back in his mouth.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

we do BLS with are DD and at first she gagged, and it was scary at first... so i switched more to chunks of stuff(helped great with her pincher grip) instead of sticks cause i noticed she would try and shove it all in at once she's done much better with that i also found with drier things like toast, bread, crackers she was more likely to gag maybe cause she isn't as used to theses textures.. now she gets a combo of sticks, crinkle cut(like chips) but with veggies, chunks and seems to be doing very well.. every once an a while she still gags but it passes quickly. for example she loves cheerios and usually has no problem, yesterday she kept putting them in her mouth but forget they were there and gag a little before she realized and started to chew on them ... if your doing sticks remember to keep in mind the length and diameter (my ped told me that infants esphogagus are the size of their little finger, to small and it won't choke them, too big and they'll gag it right up and the same size would be just right in order for them to choke, so i've made sure whatever i give her is bigger or smaller then her baby finger)
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz