Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So many question!

Default So many question!

Hi everybody. My little man is almost 13 months. He is doing pretty well with solids. Still nurses a ton during the night and while I am home. (I work full time second shift.) I pump once for 15 minutes and take home anywhere from 3 to 4 ounces. He drinks what I pumped the day before while I am at work out of a bottle for his daddy, whether its 3 or 4 ounces, he doesnt care. Is this Ok? I know it sounds like a silly question. But I just want to see if it sounds like a normal about. My body adjusts to his needs it seems perfectly but I cant help but think Im not giving him enough. Or does he even need this bottle anymore?

Doctor told us that he NEEDS cows milk for his brain???? I don't get it. I asked her , lets say in a couple months I stop pumping at work and he is not ready to give up a bottle at night. Since he is not used to drinking cows milk (neverhas ) What if I put rice milk in a bottle warmed it up and gave him that instead of my milk. She asked why Iwould use rice milk. I just said that I thought he would have a hard time digesting the cows milk and that the rice milk would be easier on his tummy. His Ped is great. She BF her kids and coslept. She knows the deal. She has no objection with any of my views on extended nursing. I am just wondering why she would say he NEEDED cows milk. It makes me nervous. I had no problem giving it to him but if he is going to have a tummy ache from it I would rather not give it to him.

I know I have a lot of annoying questions, I am just hoping that someone else has gone through this and could offer up their wisdom. I trust you girls' opinions because you have all been there. Most the mommies I know FF so they had no issues switching to milk seeing as it is milk based KNIM? Anyway, thanks in advance.
    Dexter Thomas- Born February 4, 2009 6lbs 12 3/4oz.
    We love to and .I used to work full time and pump but now I am a SAHM. We still BF like crazy!!!

Default Re: So many question!

He doesn't need cow's milk. If he is nursing several times a night and getting a bottle during the day you are fine. Even if he wasn't getting the bottle he'd be fine if he's still nursing regularly. You can also provide lots of calcium through foods. Dairy foods like cheese and yogurt, if he can tolerate them, and if not dark green leafy vegetables and beans have lots of calcium.

My daughter never would take cow's milk, she is 3 now and still very rarely consumes cow's milk. Occasionally she'll have some in cereal but usually she wants it dry. And she'd rather dip her cookies in water than milk, haha. But she does eat lots of dairy and has a well-rounded diet in general so it's not a concern.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

i don't really have any advice for you, since my DS is only 7.5 months old, but i DID want to say that you should never feel like your questions are "annoying!" you have legitimate concerns about your child, and this is the place to go for advice and support, so never let anyone make you feel like you're silly for not knowing everything about everything! no one does. that's why this is a great place -- you get a lot of different bits of information, advice, and opinion from a lot of people, so you can find the solutions that are right for you.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

THanks a bunch girls. I knew my instincts were right about the cows milk thing. It just didnt seem right that he NEEDED it. Anyway, I feel a lot more confident in my decisions. Thanks again.
    Dexter Thomas- Born February 4, 2009 6lbs 12 3/4oz.
    We love to and .I used to work full time and pump but now I am a SAHM. We still BF like crazy!!!

All babies need mama's milk. You are correct, your LO does not NEED cow's milk. I know two friend's of mine that put their LO's on rice milk or almond milk instead of cow's milk. This is something I'm also considering when my LO is at that point, so I think what you are doing is right!

Just FYI, I've heard that soy milk has a lot of estrogen and may not be good for boys. I don't know how true this is since I haven't actually researched it myself.
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Your son does not need cow's milk. My daughter is now eleven and gets tons of calcium in her diet but was allergic to milk when she was a baby. I had to cut dairy from my diet completely. Once\she outgrew the dairy allergy at 3 ( I continued nursing right through with no other milk of any kind) she just hated milk so we didn't force it. Her doctor is satisfied with her diet and so am I. Don't worry, your little one is fine without it.

Don't use rice milk! It has high levels of arsenic in it! Oat milk, almond milk, hazelnut milk, hemp milk and goats milk are all good alternatives to cows milk but not rice milk!

Sorry, bit of a spurt there. Got quite into researching this cos fella doesn't want small on cows milk when we get there and basically any substitute is fine in a balanced diet except rice milk! If you're going to use oat milk make sure that the protein levels are good in the rest of their diet.
    Art student and Mummy to Luca born 12th June 09 and Elidi 18th of May 11
    How can time go quite so fast