Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing Bottle - NEED HELP!

Default Introducing Bottle - NEED HELP!

Last night we gave our 4-week old little man, GPM, his first bottle w/ mom's milk. Based on what we've read, we gave him a bottle w/ 4oz in it. We had him propped up in almost a full sitting position. We used a Medala bottle & slow-flow nipple, and he took it like a champ. My husband was doing the feeding, and when he got to the 2oz mark, he sat GPM up at got a good burp out of him. After that, he gave him the rest, but GPM left a little bit in there. Again, my husband got a good burp out of him. All of this took about 10 minutes, when a normal feeding lasts 30 minutes.

The feeding was at 6:30pm, and GPM was up all night. There was one more burp later on in the evening, but there was a lot of gas out of the other end. The only way we were able to get any sleep was with him sleeping on my chest. We are planning on doing a bottle a day for a while, then eventually increasing that when he goes to day care @ 12 weeks. In the meantime, I need help on a few things:

1) My husband made sure to keep GPM upright, and the bottle horizontal. He was worried about GPM's air intake, so even though he had the bottle horizontal, he kepts the nipple filled with milk. Is this the correct way to do it? Should it be horizontal, but not filled with milk?

2) I've read that a bottle feeding should take almost as long as a breast feeding. My husband wants to be the one who does the bottle feeding, so should he be taking more burp breaks?

3) Should we be using an anti-gas medicine with these feedings to cut down on gas with bottle feedings?

I pumped at the same time, and for now, we're only doing 1 bottle a day, but pumping and bottle feeding is a necessity, as I have to go back to work right after 12 weeks. Any and all advice or help is greatly appreciated. My husband felt so bad this morning about GPM's state, not to mention the fact that he and I didn't get any sleep.

Default Re: Introducing Bottle - NEED HELP!

Sounds like you fed him correctly. I know it says it should take as long as a nursing session, but nothing I have ever been able to do would keep my son from sucking a bottle down in 5-10 minutes flat; our nursing sessions last 30min as well (though not as much recently - at 6mos, he's more interested in the pictures on his wall ).

I don't think gas drops do that much, but I've heard some people swear by them, so it's a case-by-case basis I think.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening (the sleep thing). It may have been a fluke. Or Jupiter could be in Mars. Sometimes you never know w/ these little ones

I went back to work at 11 weeks, and he had never taken more than one bottle a day up to that point, so I wouldn't worry about "practicing" too much. Get all the nursing in you can!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thank you so much for the reply, Jeno! This is our first, so we're just trying to get our footing!

Here is a useful link on how to bottle feed the breastfed baby:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

Also, I think 4 ounces sounds like a lot for a 4 week old to eat at one time. My 16 month old doesn't even drink 4 ounces at once.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Here is a great article on bottle feeding a breastfed baby. You might have read it already, but I found it really helpful.

Make sure you are using slow flow nipples and that you replace them fairly regularly as the little holes get bigger with use and washing. That will mimic the breast more and help with the gas issue.

If gas is a problem I'd try more burp breaks and just removing the bottle for a second or two here and there to let him breathe, at least in the beginning. He won't need as much help once he gets used to regulating the flow of the bottle on his own. As it is he isn't used to a constant stream of liquid pouring into his mouth the way a bottle does and he's just trying to gulp, gulp, gulp to keep up. Once he gets used to it he'll learn how to use his tongue to stop the flow and to spit out the nipple when he needs a break.

ETA: haha, same link tracie! you beat me to it. I also think 4 oz is a lot for such a young baby. We started with 2 oz increments. He'd usually eat 2 oz then another 1 oz if he was still hungry.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    ETA: haha, same link tracie! you beat me to it.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

It sounds like you were doing everything correctly, but, like the previous posters mentioned, I would definitely cut back on the amount that you are giving him. Four ounces seems a bit too much for a baby that young...two ounces would be more than plenty. If he continues to get gassy with future bottle feedings, try burping him after every ounce. I didn't have any luck with the gas drops either, so you will have to figure out if you think they are helping at all. I wouldn't worry about the amount of time it took him to finish the bottle either. My son rarely got a bottle, but when he did he was able to guzzle it down in record time.

Oh, and great job with being sure to pump while your husband fed him the bottle. You're making sure that your milk supply still stays where it should be while you are introducing the bottle. A lot of moms forget to do that and then their milk supply takes a nosedive.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )