Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: confused to point of giving up!

Default confused to point of giving up!

I'm so confused about block feeding and pumping and too much milk!
    I try to block feed my six week old baby and pump off the other breast (which is usually VERY full by then) but what about over night??
    I feed him from one breast before putting him down...but he wakes 4 hours later hungry and they are both full so should I feed him with the one I just used or the other one?
    Should I pump in the middle of the night to get to the hind milk? I ask because he wakes up every hour and a half after his first big 'nap' of the evening. Thank you!!!!!!

Default Re: confused to point of giving up!

6 weeks is so young!
    You guys will get the hang of things.

Have you talked with a local leader? She could help you figure it out beter then we can on-line.

With my dd when she was that age if she went longer then 3 hours between feeds she would have trouble latching and staying on the breast.
    I would hand express untill letdown and collect that milk in a cup or washcloth.
    Your going to notice your milk supply will soon even out.

this might help
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

Can I ask why you're pumping the breast your baby isn't nursing on? That could be perpetuating the oversupply problem. Every time you put up with the fullness and don't pump (or pump the absolute minimum needed for comfort), that sends a message to your body to reduce supply in that breast. Every time you pump and empty that breast, it tells your body to keep on making the same excess amount of milk.

Regarding whether or not you should switch sides instead of block feeding at night, I would follow the baby's cues. If he seems to be getting enough to eat from one breast, I would probably continue to block feed, and to not pump the other side (or pump only the amount necessary to restore comfort). If he still seems hungry after taking the breast that you're block feeding on, I might offer the other breast as well.

Should I pump in the middle of the night to get to the hind milk? I ask because he wakes up every hour and a half after his first big 'nap' of the evening.
    If you have oversupply, the best thing you can do is to put the pump away until the oversupply is tamed. Frequent night-waking in a baby as young as yours is entirely normal. Frustrating, but normal! It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with inadequate hindmilk intake.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momma.1 View Post
    Can I ask why you're pumping the breast your baby isn't nursing on? That could be perpetuating the oversupply problem. Every time you put up with the fullness and don't pump (or pump the absolute minimum needed for comfort), that sends a message to your body to reduce supply in that breast. Every time you pump and empty that breast, it tells your body to keep on making the same excess amount of milk.

Regarding whether or not you should switch sides instead of block feeding at night, I would follow the baby's cues. If he seems to be getting enough to eat from one breast, I would probably continue to block feed, and to not pump the other side (or pump only the amount necessary to restore comfort). If he still seems hungry after taking the breast that you're block feeding on, I might offer the other breast as well.

If you have oversupply, the best thing you can do is to put the pump away until the oversupply is tamed. Frequent night-waking in a baby as young as yours is entirely normal. Frustrating, but normal! It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with inadequate hindmilk intake.
    It is hard, but if you keep telling your body not to make more milk than baby needs it will settle down soon. Promise. It is uncomfortable, but worth it for the comfort you will have for the rest of your nursing relationship...
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.