Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch!!

Default Ouch!!

So I have been exclusively bf my lo who is now 9 months old and am pumping during my 3 12hr shifts per week. over the past several weeks pumping has gotten more painful and is actually causing cracks/cuts at the base of my nipple where it meets the areola. I know its from rubbing but I havent been able to fix it. I actually have small breasts and nipples and when I pump (with my PISA) it pulls my whole areola and part of my breast into the tube. Now that my breast are softening it is becoming a lot more painful. I have tried small sheilds large shields and the softshields. I had been pumping on the highest setting but I am below half strength right now (if I go any lower i dont express enough-even with hand compressions). any advice on what to do? It is extremely painfula dn causes some bleeding and painful nursing. It will heal after about 2-3 days of no pumping but them im back at work again. any advice would be appreciated. and sorry if this is a mess I am at work and pumping, no time to proof read!

Default Re: Ouch!!

Hmm, since you've tried new shields of all sizes and types, I have to wonder if the issue isn't actually thrush. That's a common cause of cracking and pain when it crops up after months of trouble-free nursing/pumping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Ouch!!

i didnt even think of that, but it would make perfect since! My LO has gotten thrush several times in the past couple of months due to her nebulizer that she has to use at least twice a day. Since it was just botherning me with the pump I was thinking pump issue! Thanks a bunch. I will deff try a thrush treatment and see if things improve.