Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to start solids

Default When to start solids

I just went to my DD 4 month Dr. visist. She weights 12.5 lbs and is 24" long. She's at the 25% for weight and the 50% for length. My Dr. said she was gaining fine but suggested that I go ahead and start her on cereal then fruits and veggies. I've been reading alot about not starting them until they are 6 months old due to food allergies. I mentioned this to my Dr. who said that there isn't enough info out there to say whether you should wait until they are 4 months or 6 months. Any suggestions. I don't mind starting her on cereal, she shows quite an interest when we are eating dinner at the table and the Dr. says she is physically and mentally ready, but I'm not sure.

Default Re: When to start solids

The most current recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatrics is that babies be exclusively BFed for the first 6 months. Some people EBF for several months beyond that. I believe that the recommendation used to be 4-6 months, so your doc's info might just be outdated.
    It doesn't sound like your baby's size should be of any concern.
    Some parents start their babies earlier than 6 months if they show any interest. That's your call.
    I think the most important guideline is that BM should be baby's PRIMARY source of nutrition for the first year, regardless of when solids are introduced. Solids should not be replacing BM, and the best practice is to BF your baby immediately prior to offering any solids. The rationale is that you don't want your baby filling up on solids and not being hungry for the good stuff.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

There are alot of signs that show that your little one is ready to start solids. LLL lists them here on this site, check them out. It'll really help you in your decision. A few of the signs I looked for with my sons were: little one sits up unassisted, breastmilk didn't seem to be satisfying them anymore after about 6 mos., no matter how much they nursed, when offered tiny spoonfuls of food, they didn't force it out with their tongues, they moved it around and swallowed it...also, they reached for and grabbed my food...and actually chewed up and ate some...(it was a cracker). There are lots of other signs too...i just can't come up with any off the top of my head...lo is fussing and 3 yr old is being very "busy".

As far as the allergy issue goes, most org.s do recommend waiting until 6 mos., like the WHO and the AAP, although the AAP does seem a little divided as i've seen both 4-6 and 6 mos. listed. What we did, because we do have some food allergies in our family tree..., is to wait until 6 mos. although lo decided to be ready about 10 days early. I would suggest though, to check this website as well as askdrsears.com regarding which foods to introduce, and to avoid milk and dairy products until after 1 year. There is alot of research that indicates that getting cow's milk before 1 year can actually lead to allergies as baby's intestines can't handle it until they're a little older.

It makes sense though...cow's milk was designed for calves...breastmilk was designed for babies.

Here is what LLL has to say: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

Also, don't forget that breastmilk provides more fat and calories than any food you can provide your little one! You don't want any solids you give him will likely be replacing precious breast milk. Not to mention that babies that young are not developmentally ready to take on solids yet ... see this thread here ... http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...24&postcount=4http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...24&postcount=4

Kellymom.com states:

Ounce for ounce, breastmilk has more calories than most baby-safe solid foods and significantly more nutrients than any type of solid food that you can feed your baby. In addition, starting solids will quite possibly reduce the amount of milk that your baby is getting overall, rather than increase overall intake. One of the first recommendations for a baby who genuinely has slow weight gain is to decrease or eliminate solid foods and nurse more often.

Breastmilk should make up the majority of baby’s nutrition through the end of the first year. At some point toward the end of the first year, most babies will gradually begin to need more iron and zinc than that provided by breastmilk alone - at that point, additional nutrients can be obtained from small amounts of solids.

Some babies thrive on breastmilk alone until 12 months or later - as long as your baby is continuing to gain weight and grow *at his rate*, your milk is meeting his needs well.

Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Red face Re: When to start solids

Thanks for all the great advise. I think I'll just take it a day at a time. Last night I was eating a bannana and DD crabbed at it and licked her fingers so I mushed some up and she loved it. I didn't give her much just more or less having fun w/her. She's been nursing alot, then still seems hungry afterwords, is this a sign she needs more? I heard it's better to give them solids then to have to supplement w/formula. I only pump about half of what she needs for the following day at the sitters so I've been giving her half formaula as well. Has anyone heard about supplementing w/solids rather then formula?