Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: first time mom whose just so confused about solids! any advice?

Default first time mom whose just so confused about solids! any advice?

I have a 5 1/2 month old whose EBF. Up until 2 weeks ago he was EBF, we've started on organic brown rice cereal which he seems to be tolerating well. I'm used to runny poop, but since the solids his poop actually smells bad and is way more mushy and he seems to have more BM than when he wasn't eating solids..is this normal? SO, about a week ago I went on vacation and grandma was taking care of baby (she was feeding him just BM that I pumped so he could have it while I was away) So pretty much in the morning he is getting BM that about three hours later some cereal then napping then when he woke up from a nap an hour later BM. SO he was drinking breast milk every 4 hours with solids in between. Is this a good strategy? How did some of you introduce solids? I just introduced freshly mushed bananas to him yesterday along with cereal, he seems to love them. I tried apples but they seemed to give him a rash around his face so I stopped that right away. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right I'm just used to nursing every 3 hours..any ideas? suggestions? How can I tell if he is tolerating the new food well?Last night he seemed to be uncomfortable all night and didn't sleep well..but I'm not sure if it's related to food. I really don't have anyone to ask, everyone on DH side of the family formula fed and there are no babies on my side and because I'm younger than most I have no friends with babies either! sigh!
    Last edited by @llli*JMP; February 24th, 2010 at 02:34 PM.

Default Re: first time mom whose just so confused about solids! any advice?

I'm used to runny poop, but since the solids his poop actually smells bad and is way more mushy and he seems to have more BM than when he wasn't eating solids..is this normal?
    Once a baby starts solids, it is normal for
    a) poop consistency to change, with stools becoming firmer or softer than when the baby was exclusively breastfed,
    b) poop smell to change a lot, and
    c) poop volume to change.

SO he was drinking breast milk every 4 hours with solids in between. Is this a good strategy?
    Until a year, I think it's best to try to maximize breastmilk intake, because there aren't any solids which are as healthy or nutritionally complete as breastmilk. So I would encourage breastmilk every 3 hours instead of every 4 if possible. You may need to cut down on the amount of solid food you are offering in order to achieve that, but that's not a big deal: until the first birthday, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They're not necessary for nutrition.

How did some of you introduce solids?
    Beginning at 6 months, we took a baby-led solids approach, i.e., we put healthy foods on our daughter's high-chair tray and allowed her to maneuver them into her own mouth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I let and still continue to let my DD nurse on demand at 6 months we tried purees for a few days and she wasn't having it so we switched to BLS and are it she picks what she wants to eat(usually what i'm eating ) and how much of it .. she just started actually swallowing the solids about 3 weeks ago and i've noticed huge improvement in her pincher grip and hand eye( or hand mouth) coordination.. some days she eats lots and doesn't want BM as often and other days she doesn't eat very much and BF a lot.. every day is different..if you want more info on BLS find the book baby led weaning by gill rapley .. it really helped me and my SO to go for the BLS approach without any worry's
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

Here's an article about how to be sure your child is ready for solids. And here is a great article about baby led solids.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous