Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How?

Default How?

how will you know when your supply has increased? i've heard you'll get more when you pump... or if you're using an SNS, that the baby will drink less from it.

i've been nursing, then using the SNS, then pumping. the only reason i nurse first is b/c i know the baby removes milk more efficiently than the pump. so far i haven't been seeing an increase in the amount i pump (still around 1 oz. total each time), and my LO only drinks less from the SNS some of the time. also i'm not using the SNS at night, and she gets up to nurse 2-3 times and goes back to sleep satisfied.

i do notice her suck is stronger and i hear more swallowing than i used to before. is this a good sign? my LC wants me to wait another week before skipping the SNS with the formula every other feeding. then the following week skip every other day to try and wean and see if her weight stays up. i'm hoping so

Default Re: How?

Quote Originally Posted by stressball
    i do notice her suck is stronger and i hear more swallowing than i used to before. is this a good sign?
    I think that sounds like an excellent sign! I'm not experienced with the SNS and increasing a milk supply personally, so hopefully bumping this thread up will get some other mamas to chime in! Congratulations on your efforts paying off ... and Good luck!!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon