Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much food for 9 month old?

Default 9 month old Solids & BLS?

How much should I be feeding my 9 month old solids? I' have always fed her if her mouth is open, I feel liek she's eating too much? Her poos are firm and sometimes hard to pass. Should I cut back on solids? She BF's every 2-3 hours. Also, I spoon feed her, how would I transition to BLS? I like that idea, makes sense! Any info would be great!

Thanks so much!

I'm so excited about this forum! I'm a newbie here!
    Last edited by @llli*jenny287; February 24th, 2010 at 10:31 AM.

Default Re: How much food for 9 month old?

BF her before giving solids then let her tell you when she's full. If she's eating alot of cereal that might be constipating - try some pears or avocado to help soften them. Sorry for being short - 1 handed typing.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My son's poop got hard when I started solids - see my thread in this forum below. Some helpful suggestions I got were decreasing the really starchy foods like sweet potatoes and doing more pears/apples; giving "juice" made from soaking dried apricots in water; using more water or EBM to thin out my purees (I've been giving him homemade food).

As far as BLS, I haven't tried that yet so I can't help you there. Good luck!

ETA: Here's the link - http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=83983
    Last edited by @llli*jeno; February 26th, 2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added link
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

My son will be starting his 9 month in a day or so.
    I always BF before solids. He eats about 3x a day (solids). He actually shakes his head "no" when he is finished. His poopies were a little hard, so I stopped the cereal and give fruits and baby yogurt-helped a lot!
    Mommy to Jackson Cale
    May 30, 2009

Proudly my little love.

And by the way, !
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Default Re: 9 month old Solids & BLS?

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

Unless you're planning on weaning soon, I think the important thing to remember is that you want the majority of her calorie consumption to come from breast milk until she's one year old. How many times a day are you feeding your LO? You might want to cut back on the solids (technically, she doesn't need them yet, since she's getting all the necessary nutrients from your milk) a bit until her poo softens up a bit.

Especially if you're interested in baby-led-weaning, you don't need to offer huge amounts of food at each sitting, since right now, meal time is not so much about eating as playing, exploring, practicing her fine-motor skills, learning new tastes, smells, textures, etc.

Unless you've got a history of any kind of allergy on either side of the family, I believe the only food to avoid at this age is honey--someone correct me if I'm wrong! At least, this is what I did with DD.

Offer a wide variety of foods that your LO is able to comfortably and easily hold in her fist: veggie sticks, big pieces of meat to suck on, fruit wedges, and anything you're having for breakfast/lunch/dinner (so you don't have to specially prepare things just for your LO), etc. Since you're just starting out, you might be a little nervous, so for your own sanity, you probably want to make sure the size of the food pieces are long enough that she can't stuff the entire thing into her mouth. Longer pieces of food also means she can grasp one end while happily gnawing on the other.

Am writing this in a bit of a rush, so I apologize if anything doesn't make sense. There are loads of posts on BLW on this forum though, so do try searching around! Good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenny287 View Post
    How much should I be feeding my 9 month old solids? I' have always fed her if her mouth is open, I feel liek she's eating too much? Her poos are firm and sometimes hard to pass. Should I cut back on solids? She BF's every 2-3 hours. Also, I spoon feed her, how would I transition to BLS? I like that idea, makes sense! Any info would be great!

Thanks so much!

I'm so excited about this forum! I'm a newbie here!

Default Re: 9 month old Solids & BLS?

We do the whole BLS thing, it's lovely! We started on purees but he was bored of being fed. I don't think there's a right way to start it, we just did, broccoli and boiled potatoes. I still gave him some mush to start off but phased it out pretty quickly and he soon figured out how to get food into his mouth, did wonders for his fine motor skills. Now he pretty much just has a healthier version of what I do. Less fat, very little salt(but he does have some things with salt in, cheese for example is very salty), no sugar or honey. It's really nice sharing meals with my son and we have done since he was 6 months old! Saw someone feeding their one year old puree at his birthday dinner in a restaurant and felt really sad for them. Just go for it, enjoy the glorious mess that inevitably arises!
    Oh, and it does cut the 'are they eating too much' worry. I know small would eat indefinitely if i just kept giving him spoonfuls whereas when he's in charge he eats hugely different amounts at different meals depending on if he's enjoying the food and genuinely hungry!
    Last edited by @llli*jessamy; February 28th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.
    Art student and Mummy to Luca born 12th June 09 and Elidi 18th of May 11
    How can time go quite so fast