Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vitamins for baby

Default Vitamins for baby

Does everyone give their baby vitamins? Like tri vis sol otr poly? My dr. said since I'm EBF that I should give them until the first year. What is everyone else doing?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Vitamins for baby

No vitamins here. We are trying to make sure we hit all the major food groups and offer nutritionally high value foods primarily with the solids.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

The only vitamin supplement recommended by the American Association of Pediatrics is Vitamin D. Many docs recommend additional supplements but they are generally unnecessary. What we have done is use Vitamin D-only drops (Carlson Baby D-Drops) and introduce iron-rich foods in the second half of the first year. The D drops can be found online and in some stores, although generally not in the regular drug store. HTH!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Our Dr. rec. Poly Vi Sol. Do you all think I should stop them? We live in Florida, so we're outside daily. Not in direct sun, partial sun/shade. She isn't eating meats yet, should I start? So many questions!

I never gave either of my children vitamins until they were 2 years old, not even the vitamin d drops. But I always made sure they had time outside almost daily w/out sunscreen (about 15-20 minutes). I never worried about them not getting enough nutrients while nursing, it's only when they start eating more solids (& becoming more picky) that I want to make sure they're getting what they need.
    Mommy to Mary Louise, born 6/28/05, Self weaned at 2 years and 2 months

Mommy to Craig Isaac, born February 16, 2008, Self weaned 3 years and 4 months
    parttime

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*molly.b View Post
    The only vitamin supplement recommended by the American Association of Pediatrics is Vitamin D. Many docs recommend additional supplements but they are generally unnecessary. What we have done is use Vitamin D-only drops (Carlson Baby D-Drops) and introduce iron-rich foods in the second half of the first year. The D drops can be found online and in some stores, although generally not in the regular drug store. HTH!
    I use these D-drops too, and love them. I used to do the Tri-Visol only for Vit D but hardly ever did it, because, really who wants to give that gross stuff to their baby? The D-Drops taste like NOTHING and it's just one drop on your breast or pacifier. Otherwise I do not worry about vitamins and plan on making sure to get iron-rich foods into my baby's diet

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenny287 View Post
    Our Dr. rec. Poly Vi Sol. Do you all think I should stop them? We live in Florida, so we're outside daily. Not in direct sun, partial sun/shade. She isn't eating meats yet, should I start? So many questions!
    Good questions! Here's a resource you might find helpful, including discussion of Vit. D and iron-rich foods.
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/index.html

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

My pedi told me that since we are Caucasian and live in the south (TN), if he gets an hour of sunlight per week, he will be fine. What he actually said was "if you are white and not living in Canada, you'll be okay".

So we haven't done any vitamins for our 6 m/o.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos