Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: vomitting

Unhappy vomitting

ds has vomitted everytime that i have bf him since about 2 pm today. dh actually got him to take about 2 ounces from a bottle (very unusual) and he kept that down until i tried to bf him a little while later. he has been vomitting at least once a day about 5 days a week for over a week now. what is going on?? is there suddenly something wrong with my milk?

Default Re: vomitting

So sorry to hear about your ds, I hope he feels better, I think that I need a little bit more info to help you,
    is it vomit or spit up?
    projectile or regular?
    fresh bm or curdled?
    How is ds's output teetee and poops?
    How about his disposition, happy or sad when he does it?

For now I would rec amend keeping him elevated for a while after he eats, in a bouncy seat or elevated on your lap etc.. Also how old is ds and have you eaten anything different today than usual?

Don't be so fast to blame the breastmilk. Perhaps he is working through a stomach virus? Are there any other symptoms? In your avatar pic, he looks quite young -- if he's younger than 2 months or so, I would call his doctor to report the frequent vomiting and ask if he should be examined.

--Rebecca

how can you tell the difference between vomitting and spit up? my newborn sometimes spits up what appears to be vomit(clumpy and liquidy) but i thought that was normal.

The difference btw vomit and spit-up -- it's not what comes up so much as how it comes up. Vomit is really forceful -- projectile, if you will. It goes farther.

(How's that for a visual? Hope nobody reading this was trying to eat breakfast at the same time, LOL)

--Rebecca

ds is nine weeks. it is vomit. it startles me that someone who only ate for a few minutes can throw up so much. he usually gets fresh bm straight from me. dh did manage to get him to take a couple of oucnes early in the evening. he managed not to throw up during the night, just some normal spit up, but i only fed him for a few minutes each time. ds is getting over a cold, and he has been to see the doctor, but he thinks that it is just normal, keep feeding him, and like you said, hold him upright after nursing. i do all these things, but it is continuing. yesterday was just the worst tho. i guess that i am just tired of being thrown up on and i feel badly for him. oh, and his disposition is normal. he fusses a little after nursing, usually having to do with his diaper. and sometimes he gets upset after throwing up, but i think that his because is usually backsplashes into his face and eyes. but he is otherwise basically a happy baby. and he is on zantac, too, btw.

Something that I had to remember with my ds was that the spit up/vomit always looked like a lot more than it really was. The zantac should help if it is reflux, which it could be. I am sorry to say that some babies just spit up/vomit a lot, his may have just started now at 9 wks. As a nervous mommy myself I would nip into the doctor's to make sure that he is still gaining weight on a consistent basis, If yes than you may just have to deal with the spit up until he gets a bit older when it should subside. Also it helps to have lot's of burp cloths and bibs around for a quick clean up. Good luck, I know that dealing with a spitter is no fun. Did I ask you about checking you diet, sometimes babies spit more when something that the mom ate does not agree with their tummy's?

If he's had a lot of congestion with the cold, the extra mucus going down his throat could cause vomiting.

It sounds like he is doing okay otherwise -- hope this problem passes soon for you guys.

--Rebecca