Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What else should I be doing?

Default What else should I be doing?

My baby is 6 weeks old. About 3 weeks ago I had to stop breast feeding. I wasn't able to quite keep up with her appetite. After a complicated labor and extremely complicated delivery that resulted in a c-section that resulted in more complications and a week in the hospital I couldn't handle the stress. So my husband could help me out we had to start formula feeding. I hate it. Hate hate hate it. I hate formula. The bottle has caused nipple confusion so when I did nurse I had to use a nipple shield.

I noticed last week that I'm still able to produce a very, very minute amount of milk so I called a lactation consultant and went out and rented a Medela Symphony pump, got some Mother's Milk Plus (liquid herbal supplement that tastes like celery liqueur, ick), and have been pumping 8-10 times a day. The last few days I've been doing a power pumping session at least once a day. The lactation consultant told me to pump twice at night but I can't, I'm just too exhausted. It's the only time I can get any sleep so I sleep through the alarm clock both times. She also told me I can ask my doctor for a prescription for Reglan if I need it.

So here's where I'm having a mini crisis. I've only been able to produce 1/4 ounce per pump since I started last Sunday. I got 1/2 ounce once last night, and this morning when I woke up I couldn't pump more than one single drop. I've been drinking plenty of water, I get enough sleep (I think), I eat healthy, I take my prenatal vitamins, the last couple days I haven't been taking my celery liqueur which is my fault. Would forgetting to take it for two days really negatively impact my supply like that?

Does Reglan really work? Does power pumping more than once a day help? I know the more you pump the better, but the pump makes my boobs a little sore. Not the nipple, but the areola. I can't nurse my baby because she won't latch, there's not enough in it for her to try I guess, so I'm stuck with the pump until I can get enough to bribe her with. So I wonder if power pumping two or more times a day would bring a big enough result to make sore boobs worth it.

Should I call my doctor and get a prescription? How much does Reglan cost? We're a little broke right now so I can't go out spending tons more money on new breast shells for the pump to see if they work better or one of those nursing aids, but if I absolutely have to I will I guess.

I may not be able to keep up with my baby's needs but by damn I want to at least be able to provide breast milk for her. If I can substitute one or two of her bottles a day with expressed milk or, better yet, nurse her to supplement then I'd be perfectly happy. It's better than nothing, but first I have to get my supply back up and it's not working. Is there anything I should be doing different or anything else I should try?

Default Re: What else should I be doing?

I took Reglan to help with supply issues while I was pumping for my daughter during her NICU stay...that stuff made me absolutely crazy after about a month of taking it. It really helped with the supply...but you have to be careful with becoming depressed when taking it!
    I'm Candice
    WAHM to Lauren
    Born 11/2/09 at 30 weeks due to Mama's HELLP Syndrome
    2 pounds, 14 ounces
    7 weeks in the NICU
    6 months: 11 pounds, 9 ounces
    7 months: 13 pounds, 13 ounces

Well I did a little searching and found out Reglan is associated with Tardive Diskinisia. I don't really want to take it now...

I just got a call from one of the LCs at the hospital though, she's kind of confused why things aren't really picking up either since I've been working on this for a week already, but she also said it could take 3 weeks or more and we're only in week 1 so I'm not too worried about it I guess. I just pumped half an ounce though, hopefully that'll keep happening today

oh yeah I think that was wise advice it could take a while to see more milk.

have you tried hand expression?
    There is more about how to do it here:

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

Check out this story:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=78079

She relactated after 5 weeks. I think you might get a lot out of it.

Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. I also have some questions.

1.) If I use my nipple shield she'll latch onto it and try to suck though it's pretty half-hearted. I can hear her swallow when I let her latch on, though, so hopefully she's swallowing milk and not her own saliva or something far less exciting like that. If I attempt to latch her on without the nipple shield she screams. Why? Is it because it feels less like the bottle in addition to having to work harder to get a few meager mouthfuls?

2.) I can't co sleep. I'm unemployed/stay at home mom, my husband works 5 10 hour shifts a week. While he's more than happy to take the baby on the weekends so I can catch up on sleep on the weeknights he'll quietly beg in his sleep for her to let him sleep or for me to take her out of the room. Sometimes it's cute, tonight though it just felt like a complete lack of support. I'm tired so I'm reading way too far into it. Is there anything different I can do to just give her two chances to nurse at night so I don't have to pump?

3.) They say during normal breastfeeding to offer 10 minutes on each breast. Since I"m trying to rebuild my supply would it be sufficient, even with a nipple shield, to skip a few pumping sessions when she's not ravenous and let her try the breast for 20 minutes? Would that provide sufficient stimulation even though she's not doing much more than the pacifier flutter suck thing, or should I stick to pumping?

Sorry for the long questions, and thanks.

Oh, also, are the supplemental nursing systems from Medela worth it? Would it be worth investing in one to get her more willing to nurse? I hear they're cumbersome, but it can't be any worse than the medela symphony pump that keeps popping my nipples back real hard after each suck despite endless readjustment attempts. :P

I'm starting to kind of freak out a little, though. I'm consistently producing only 1/2 or 1 full oz per pump and I've been pumping going on two weeks now. I'd rather get my baby back on the breast and save the pumping for putting away expressed milk once my supply is back to a reasonable level. Would the SNS help? Her nursing should stimulate production better than the pump, right?

1.) If I use my nipple shield she'll latch onto it and try to suck though it's pretty half-hearted. I can hear her swallow when I let her latch on, though, so hopefully she's swallowing milk and not her own saliva or something far less exciting like that. If I attempt to latch her on without the nipple shield she screams. Why? Is it because it feels less like the bottle in addition to having to work harder to get a few meager mouthfuls?
    The screaming while latching onto the bare breast may be because the feeling is unfamiliar, and your LO thinks that you're trying to "cheat" her out of a meal. Here's a link on nipple shields, and how to wean from them: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

2.) I can't co sleep. I'm unemployed/stay at home mom, my husband works 5 10 hour shifts a week. While he's more than happy to take the baby on the weekends so I can catch up on sleep on the weeknights he'll quietly beg in his sleep for her to let him sleep or for me to take her out of the room. Sometimes it's cute, tonight though it just felt like a complete lack of support. I'm tired so I'm reading way too far into it. Is there anything different I can do to just give her two chances to nurse at night so I don't have to pump?
    First of all, you're a stay-at-home mom who is relactating and caring for an infant- mama, you are NOT unemployed! You're just not getting paid. Do you and your DH have the possibility of sleeping apart for a while? If he takes the guest bed and you sleep with the baby for a few weeks, it might be easier on everyone and give you more chances to nurse at night.

If sharing the bed won't work, how about keeping your LO really close? I sometimes kept my LO in a laundry basket right next to the bed. That way I could pick her up and nurse her the instant she stirred.

3.) They say during normal breastfeeding to offer 10 minutes on each breast. Since I"m trying to rebuild my supply would it be sufficient, even with a nipple shield, to skip a few pumping sessions when she's not ravenous and let her try the breast for 20 minutes? Would that provide sufficient stimulation even though she's not doing much more than the pacifier flutter suck thing, or should I stick to pumping?
    They say a lot of things, and often they are wrong. The 10 minute rule is a bad one, especially for a mom who is relactating. Let your baby spend as much time on the breast as possible- it won't hurt her or you, and it's good for supply.

So, would it be sufficient to skip a pumping session in favor of a breastfeeding session? Maybe. If the baby is nursing well and removing lots of milk, it's probably better to nurse than to pump. If she's not (and the "pacifier flutter suck" description makes me think that she isn't, not yet), then you need to do some pumping in addition to the nursing. But don't think of any time at the breast as wasted time! Even comfort-sucking is great for getting the idea that breast = fun/comfort/food into your baby's head.

Oh, also, are the supplemental nursing systems from Medela worth it? Would it be worth investing in one to get her more willing to nurse?
    For some moms, the SNS is totally worth it. Others find it too tricky to handle. You don't know which one you are unless you try!

I hear they're cumbersome, but it can't be any worse than the medela symphony pump that keeps popping my nipples back real hard after each suck despite endless readjustment attempts. :P
    When you say the pump is "popping my nipples back real hard after each suck," do you mean that your nips are shooting all the way out of the collection tube, with a feeling of loss of suction? If so, you may need a different (probably smaller) size of breast shield.

I'm starting to kind of freak out a little, though. I'm consistently producing only 1/2 or 1 full oz per pump and I've been pumping going on two weeks now.
    Don't freak out! This is incredible progress!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I shouldn't have too much trouble weaning off the nipple shield when I'm ready to, she sure won't have a good time with it, but I'll probably just pick one day to sit on the couch and watch TV. If I try to feed her early enough once I'm up to a good production it shouldn't take her long to figure out how it works. She doesn't fuss if her bottle flows too slowly, as long as it's not totally clogged she doesn't care, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

My husband can't sleep on the couch, he has dust allergies so we have hypoallergenic dust covers on the bed to help him sleep better. She's only been waking up once a night lately though so it's okay. I have her bassinet by the bed though.

The medela symphony pump is already a pain in the butt to deal with so the SNS shouldn't be beyond me. :P I'm going to try some properly fitted soft shields for the pump first though. I figured out the shells that came with it are way too big. They suck a big part of my areola into the shield and according to their website sizing it should ONLY fit my nipple in the funnel.

We'll see how it goes from there!

Okay, new question. Do the Medela softfit breastshields come in 21 mm size and if so do they work as well as the hard ones that come standard for the pump? Thanks. Also, if I do get my flow back up to a good level I'll have to do something about avoiding nipple confusion. I plan on going back to work probably within the next 6 months and so she WILL have to be bottle fed during the day. Are the First Years Breastflow bottles good? I heard that the baby has to compress the nipple to get a decent flow and so it shouldn't encourage nipple confusion. Would this possibly help in weaning her back into the breast as well?
    Last edited by @llli*jasmer; March 7th, 2010 at 08:14 PM.