Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is a good hand pump?

Default What is a good hand pump?

I need a good hand pump. Can I get any recommendations on a good pump? I need to be able to pump enough each day for the next day at daycare. I can only pump once at work on my lunch break.

Thanks!

Default Re: What is a good hand pump?

Medela makes a good hand pump.

Just curious, though, why you need a hand pump specifically? An electric pump would be a whole lot easier, and it would give you more output as you could pump both sides at the same time.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Absolutely. WIC can help you with an electric double pump. My WIC office gave me a Medela pump in style advanced. Free of charge.

With my first DD, 12 years ago, I went back to work with a hand pump. I quit pumping within a week because it just got so tiring. It hurts your hand after awhile. AND like the PP said, you get more from an electric double.
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

I loved the Avent Isis hand pump. I agree with the others though, a double electric would maximize your output and make the most of one short pumping break per day.

How long is your work day? If it's a full day you may not be able to pump enough for the next day with only one pump break.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I have the Medela hand pump... I don't have any complaints. Just realize it takes 45 minutes to pump each breast with a hand pump, as compared to 10 to 20 minutes with an electric pump.

It was definately good for those first few weeks when I desperately needed to relieve some pressure in the middle of the night and didn't wanna lug out the electric pump!
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

I don't pump anymore, but loved my Avent Isis hand pump. I often chose to use it over my electric. That being said, I also had an Ameda Purely Yours double electric that I got through WIC, so I'd definitely check into that.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on