Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: should I get a new pump?

Default Re: should I get a new pump?

I know, it was long, I have a habit of talking too much. . . . what can I say, I like to share what I know! But you are very welcome. The milk in the Medela pump doesn't actually run THROUGH the pump, but if you let the bottle get too full, it will fill up the tubing and run behind the diaphragm (which is replaceable, as well). I agree with the other posters, though, if WIC is out for you and he REALLY won't give in, go for one of the less expensive pumps. A double pump is SO worth the investment, no matter what you pay. It's just time and effort wise, way more value!!
    Last edited by @llli*wombatred26; February 23rd, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

I will try again to convince him that it's an investment... but I'll be checking out other pumps too. The Ameda purely yours was mentioned and I think I saw that that one goes for 190$ new - so easily half the cost of the medela pumps! Maybe I can convince him on that one.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

My SIL actually gave me her double electric pump. I got all replacement parts, and it cost about $50 to $60 total. She called Medela and got replacement tubing because they don't sell that in the store.

I would definately be hesitant about buying a used pump! I agree with wombatred26's comments!!

If you end up buying a new one, I suggest buying it at Babies R Us (BRU) or BuyBuyBaby, and using a Bed Bath and Beyond (BBB) 20% off coupon. (Yes, most BRU will take BBB coupons!) I think that's the best price you'll find. That's what I was going to do if I didn't get my SIL's pump!
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lavenda319 View Post
    My SIL actually gave me her double electric pump. I got all replacement parts, and it cost about $50 to $60 total. She called Medela and got replacement tubing because they don't sell that in the store.

I would definately be hesitant about buying a used pump! I agree with wombatred26's comments!!

If you end up buying a new one, I suggest buying it at Babies R Us (BRU) or BuyBuyBaby, and using a Bed Bath and Beyond (BBB) 20% off coupon. (Yes, most BRU will take BBB coupons!) I think that's the best price you'll find. That's what I was going to do if I didn't get my SIL's pump!
    Well I was under the impression that when you bought a used pump you were buying the motor and all the pieces you had to buy new. I didn't realize when I was considering used that there would even be any issues (other than condition).

BRU (.ca) only has the medela double pumps on the website. I will have to call the one near me and find out if they carry anything not listed on the website.
    Amanda

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*baby-blue-eyes View Post
    Well I was under the impression that when you bought a used pump you were buying the motor and all the pieces you had to buy new. I didn't realize when I was considering used that there would even be any issues (other than condition).

BRU (.ca) only has the medela double pumps on the website. I will have to call the one near me and find out if they carry anything not listed on the website.
    I apologize for not being clear. By replacement parts, I meant that I bought new breast shields, personal fit connectors, yellow valves and white membranes, bottles, and ordered new tubing.
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lavenda319 View Post
    I apologize for not being clear. By replacement parts, I meant that I bought new breast shields, personal fit connectors, yellow valves and white membranes, bottles, and ordered new tubing.
    You can also boil the shields and stuff if you want. I bought new everything, but now I would be ok with using "used" ones if I boiled them. Not the tubing though.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Ok so I told DH about the Ameda pump and that it's half the price new.

He shrugged and said
    "I still think it's weird pumping both sides at once"
    why?
    "it seems so unnatural"

so I told him "of course pumping is unnatural, but that doesn't change the fact that I'll have to do it - with a double pump it'll take me half the time"

He just mumbled something and walked away.

At least he's not argueing cost. If it's just 'weird' to him then he has no say in it.
    Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*baby-blue-eyes View Post
    At least he's not argueing cost. If it's just 'weird' to him then he has no say in it.
    Seriously. What isn't weird about pumping?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Outstanding! just explain to him that mothers of twins feed both babies at one time. . . at the same time, most of the time, so what's so wierd about pumping both sides at once? It should take less than half the time, you don't have to wait for let down for each one individually, it's simultaneous! It's great! I'm glad he is not fighting you on getting a new one!
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wombatred26 View Post
    Outstanding! just explain to him that mothers of twins feed both babies at one time. . . at the same time, most of the time, so what's so wierd about pumping both sides at once? It should take less than half the time, you don't have to wait for let down for each one individually, it's simultaneous! It's great! I'm glad he is not fighting you on getting a new one!
    Actually he brought that up himself. He said "if you have twins you can't feed them at the same time"
    and I said "sure you can!"
    and he had nothing more to say.
    Amanda