Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: should I get a new pump?

Default should I get a new pump?

In September, when DS is 9 months, I will be going back to school. I will be taking one class and doing a field placement - so 'working' 2 1/2 days a week. So I will need to pump.

I currently have a Medela swing - one sided pump. It works great, but it takes twice as long to pump since I have to do each side individually.

I'm thinking I will need a double pump... but DH freaked at the price of them.

I did just notice a PISA on Craigslist for 150$. I'm not sure how much the extra parts are (the flanges etc that I would have to buy for hygenic reasons).

WDYT? Will I need a double pump? Should I snatch up the used PISA at that price? They sell for 350$ new here plus tax so over 400$...
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: should I get a new pump?

is there someplace that rents around you?

Would you use the pump now???

how long will you be going to class and working?

Post Re: should I get a new pump?

Okay, my answer is kind of long, but there is lots of information in here. . . . .

I wouldn't advise buying one off of Craigslist, only because I did. I bought one off of Craigslist and it smelled bad. It smelled as though when she finished using it for good she just threw it in the unfinished attic in the summer. It reeked of Cottage cheese/sour cream/spoiled milk IYKWIM.

On the other hand, if you want one new and you are eligible or ON WIC, ask them if they have pumps available for breastfeeding mothers returning to work/school. They give them for free. I recieved a PISA for free from them.

It says right on the pump "not to be used by more than one consumer," but so many people do.

Make sure to inspect it closely with your eyes and nose, and it looks good and doesn't smell bad, then I would say go for it, but make sure it works and that all the parts are there.

Replace the flanges, hoses/tubes, valves/seals, bottles, etc. That's my advice. You never know what they might have done to or with that pump. No point in risking your LO's health. You can go to the Medela website and I do believe if it's your first time purchasing from them, they waive the shipping fees. I'm not sure. They did for me.

ALSO, when you go to look at it, don't buy it, just because they came all the way from . . . . where ever. ONLY buy it if it's in good shape.

The pump body, inside the bag is velcroed to the bag. Carefully pull the pump body out and check the date of manufacture. It's typically on a sticker on the top of the body. If it's more than, say, two years old, I wouldn't get it. If you can't read the sticker, I wouldn't get it. . . .

ALSO, one last thing. . . look for loose or torn stitching. I didn't look for that and two days after I went back to work, the strap on the right side if you're wearing it, started to pull away from the body of the bag.

The front accessory zipper area, as well. on both the one from WIC AND the one from Craigslist, the stitching wouldn't stay put on there, either. I'm thinking about designing my own bag for my pump. Because everything goes in there, I'm talking my lunch, my water, my snacks, books, newspapers, work papers. . . . etc.

Again, I say go for new, it's worth every penny. Remember how much a can of formula costs? times the weeks that you buy one? is WAY more than what it costs to get a new pump. Tell him those figures and maybe that'll help him weigh the cost of a new pump . . . the cost of doctor's visits if she doesn't get her breast milk, is another thing you could talk to your husband, along with this one last thing: do you get paid for the breaks where you go to pump? Cause if you don't then it's twice or even three times as long to pump with a single than it is with a double. It takes me 10 minutes from set up to break down to pump and get back to my office, with a PISA with let down button. It's well worth the money we would have spent.

I sure hope this helps you convince him it's a good investment.

You could hold on to it and use it for the next child, too, if you get a double. It won't be working twice as hard so it'll last longer. Just think, instead of doing them each individually waiting for let down for both sides, just do them both at the same time, you'll let down both together, AND you'll be back to work getting payed before the girl, pumping next door, with her single even finishes with one side. . . .

BUT, ultimately it's your choice.
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    is there someplace that rents around you?

Would you use the pump now???

how long will you be going to class and working?
    There are places that rent - but it's not worth the cost. I can't remember now exactly the prices but I looked into it with DD and it's something crazy like $40 a month. I'll be doing the work placement from September to April so it won't really save me much.

I do plan on pumping a bit now. I want to start pumping once a day so I can build up a stash for DH and any babysitters. But I could do that with the pump I have.

I am going to come back and read/reply to the other post. I just have to get ready for an appointment now so I don't have time! Thanks in advance though!
    Amanda

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Have you told your husband how much formula costs? Surely the cost savings from that would be worth getting a new pump.

I'm on the fence about using a used pump. I know someone who did get milk backed up into their pump by accident. It's not a likely scenario but it does happen. I think someone on here posted before that if you would feel comfortable with the other person nursing your baby, then go ahead and use their pump.

I don't feel that strongly about it, but I agree with Cyndie about thoroughly checking it out.

P.S. Your real name is showing. Mine was a minute ago. Go into UserCP and switch it over to your alias.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

yeah sept to april wouldn't save you any $$$$$

will you be getting paid?
    maybe your hubby would be ok with getting a new one since you'll be making a little bit of extra $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post

maybe your hubby would be ok with getting a new one since you'll be making a little bit of extra $$$$
    Good point. What if you saved up $50 a month between now and then and got the new pump right before you need it?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

You may also want to think about getting a different pump, if you want a used one. Medela, if I'm not mistaken, has an open system, where the milk actually circulates through the pump motor (may not be the right word). I had an Ameda Purely Yours, and it's a closed system--milk does not circulate through the pump itself. My SIL and both had the PY and there were times she needed to use mine, and just plugged in her tubing etc. No milk ever came into contact with those things, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    You may also want to think about getting a different pump, if you want a used one. Medela, if I'm not mistaken, has an open system, where the milk actually circulates through the pump motor (may not be the right word). I had an Ameda Purely Yours, and it's a closed system--milk does not circulate through the pump itself. My SIL and both had the PY and there were times she needed to use mine, and just plugged in her tubing etc. No milk ever came into contact with those things, if that makes sense.
    I have a Lansinoh double electric (which is the same as the Ameda, just purple) that worked well for me. Since they are closed system pumps I, personally, would feel more comfortable buying one of those used. However, they are also much cheaper than the Medela pumps to start with. I got mine brand new through a seller on Amazon for about $120. The lansinoh is cheaper than the Ameda b/c it doesn't come with a bag (which I preferred because I wanted to just pack everything in my work bag). I know that the Medela pumps are very popular but I pumped 5 days per week for my LO and had good results w/mine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wombatred26 View Post
    On the other hand, if you want one new and you are eligible or ON WIC, ask them if they have pumps available for breastfeeding mothers returning to work/school. They give them for free. I recieved a PISA for free from them.

I'm in Canada - we don't have WIC (or anything like it) here.

Replace the flanges, hoses/tubes, valves/seals, bottles, etc. That's my advice. You never know what they might have done to or with that pump. No point in risking your LO's health. You can go to the Medela website and I do believe if it's your first time purchasing from them, they waive the shipping fees. I'm not sure. They did for me.

I was planning on replacing all this. I didn't know though that the milk when through the machine... I thought the motor part was completely separate.

You could hold on to it and use it for the next child, too, if you get a double. It won't be working twice as hard so it'll last longer. Just think, instead of doing them each individually waiting for let down for both sides, just do them both at the same time, you'll let down both together, AND you'll be back to work getting payed before the girl, pumping next door, with her single even finishes with one side. . . .

not sure if there will be a next child - but thank you for all the info!!
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Have you told your husband how much formula costs? Surely the cost savings from that would be worth getting a new pump.

oh he knows how much formula costs. BUT he also knows I won't go that route. I have a pump - it's just a single pump. He knows I would use that - as annoying as it is - before even considering formula. SO this arguement won't get me far with him

P.S. Your real name is showing. Mine was a minute ago. Go into UserCP and switch it over to your alias.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreaohio View Post

Nope - not getting paid. It counts as course credit for school. No money involved.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mima View Post
    I have a Lansinoh double electric (which is the same as the Ameda, just purple) that worked well for me. Since they are closed system pumps I, personally, would feel more comfortable buying one of those used. However, they are also much cheaper than the Medela pumps to start with. I got mine brand new through a seller on Amazon for about $120. The lansinoh is cheaper than the Ameda b/c it doesn't come with a bag (which I preferred because I wanted to just pack everything in my work bag). I know that the Medela pumps are very popular but I pumped 5 days per week for my LO and had good results w/mine.
    Going to look into some other pumps. Thanks for this info! I had no idea that there even were open system pumps.
    Amanda