Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need 24 hour supply on a short notice

Default Need 24 hour supply on a short notice

My baby is 8 weeks old and I've been exclusively nursing. I just learned that I have an interview in a week and will be gone for 24 hours. I don't want to give him formula, but I've never pumped. I bought a manual pump (Avent Isis; electric ones seemed really expensive for what I needed) and tried pumping today twice after a feeding, but got only 1 oz total. My baby is a big eater and pretty much empties both my breasts at each feeding. Can I increase my milk supply enough to pup for 24 hours on such a short notice? what are the best times to pump while I nurse? I don't want to deprive my baby. Any other tricks or advice? Thanks a lot!

Default Re: Need 24 hour supply on a short notice

I think an electric pump might work better. Is there any chance you could rent a hospital grade pump for a short time?

If you pump at a consistent time each day, your body will make more milk at that time. Since you are trying to get enough for 24hrs, I'd start pumping after each feeding. Within a day or two, you should notice an increase in pumped milk.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

anyway you could bring along baby and a helper?
    then you would only have to worry about a missed feed or 2...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    anyway you could bring along baby and a helper?
    then you would only have to worry about a missed feed or 2...

If you can't, you'll need about 24 to 30 ounces. I would get started now and pump once a day at the same time every day to try and build it up.

Do you have a freezer stash at all? Has your baby been introduced to a bottle?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

We gave him a bottle with 2 ounces yesterday and he took it without a problem. My husband is coming with me and will feed the baby while I'm interviewing, but I will be busy and unable to nurse for the entire 24 hours. I realize that we may have to give some formula because I'm not sure how I will pump about 30 oz by Monday, but the more BM he can get, the better; I think. So any tips that could help me pumping more faster would be great. This morning he fell asleep after one breast (this rarely happens. usually he's screaming until I put him on the second) so I just let him sleep and pumped 3 oz. The problem is I can't count on him doing that every day. When I pump after a feeding, I get 1/3 oz ; from both breasts that is. So after three feedings I have only an ounce. At this rhythm, it will take me a while...
    I will try to look into renting an electric one.
    Thanks for the advice!

Mama my only advice is do not feed her what you've pumped . . . it's easy to get hung in a loop where you think you've over-pumped and don't have the milk to feed your little one. That's not true. Just let your little one nurse and nurse and nurse and all will be well.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

What are you going to do during your 24 hour job interview to relieve engorgement? Is there any way you can pump during the job interview? I really don't understand how an interview can take 24 hours - won't you have to sleep?

My only other suggestion would be to pump one side while you nurse on the other. Your baby is still young enough that he won't try to mess with the pump. He may have to work harder on the second side, but your body will get the clue to produce that extra milk.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I asked for pumping breaks. That's partly why I got the hand pump too, the electric ones are really big to carry around all day. The interview starts early in the morning and goes until after dinner. It's a full day of meeting, tests and so on. The night before DH will feed baby so I can get a full night's sleep (In this economy I can't leave anything to chance). I'll be too stressed and rushed in the morning before leaving, but I'll nurse at night after coming home. So it's not literally 24 hours, but close. Anyway, I'd love for baby to get as much bm as possible, that's all. Thanks for all the advice!

I've been doing a lot of interviews as a pumping mom, and I have to say I expected it would work better & I would be less stressed if I just skipped night pumping (couldn't afford for baby and husband to fly out with me), but I found that when I was used to it, I *had* to pump at least once - and for me, at least, just nursing would have been easier if it had been an option. Going too long without nursing/pumping is not only uncomfortable in your breasts, but it can make you just feel anxious and miserable - once when I completely missed a pump early on I actually ended up feeling feverish and shaky until I could finally express milk!

Also, since hand pumps are so slow, I just used a Medela pump-in-style and carried the stuff around in my backpack. Wearing my black professional suit and all. Noone seemed at all concerned.

Oh - and, for building up a supply, I second the suggestion to pump on one side while nursing on the other. It takes a while to get used to letting down with a pump, and having the baby nursing at the same time can really help.

Anyways, that's my experience...! (And, if it helps, the interviews went really well)

If he's doing a good 3 hour nap, try pumping about an hour after you feed him for his nap...you're body will "catch up" and make more for after he wakes up!

You should get 1 to 1.5 oz that way easily.