Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Carrots from a roast

Default Carrots from a roast

We had a roast last night w/ carrots, potatoes, onions, probably garlic. My son has just started solids. I reserved some of the carrots, thinking hey, they're already cooked. Would you consider these for his first try at carrots, or do you think all the other stuff would confuse the issue? I plan on rinsing them first.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Default Re: Carrots from a roast

If your little one hasn't shown any signs of being sensitive to foods you eat, then you shouldn't have a problem. The only thing I would worry about would be the salt. If you used salt, it's good to rinse them, first, if not, then just mash them up as is. I myself don't use salt when I'm cooking. I do that so that my LO can have some of what we are eating. Besides, I don't use enough salt for everyone else's tastes anyway, so, I just leave that up to them . . . I wouldn't give anything that's new for a least four days after introducing the carrots from the roast, but like I said, other than that, I don't see anything wrong with giving them to him. Here is a link from the baby center that I just recently stumbled across about the seasoning thing. . . .

New rules for feeding baby: spices

Homemade baby food

and Expanding your baby's tastes
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

I tend to agree with PP. I made yams and carrots with a roast as one of her first foods, and she got 'em with the onions - and loved it... The meat juice gave her all of the meat goodness as well. If you don't add salt when cooking, it's fine to give it with the juices....
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

We did the same thing, and my son loved it. I also don't cook with salt, so he just got the flavorings from the roast/chicken/whatever I was cooking.

DH certainly didn't use enough salt or pepper for my taste

I'll double check with him. I know he used two cans of chicken broth, which is pretty salty. I'll just rinse them really well.

Thanks ladies!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos