Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: We are low on food and I need to up supply for 13 mo old

Default We are low on food and I need to up supply for 13 mo old

Hello,

I am new to this forum and this is my question:

We are currently low on nutritious food (we do have WIC) and my 15 mo old has been self weaning, probably because she is very busy and independent right now. She tries to nurse at night and in the morning, but seems frustrated as there is probably little milk.

Suggestions on increasing supply please?? Is is basically the same process as if the supply was low when the child was younger?

I also have a 4 year old. Tonight my husband left and told us that he is tired of having a family (among alot of other hurtful things). We do not have any family nearby us.

Thanks,
    Meredith

Default Re: We are low on food and I need to up supply for 13 mo old

So sorry for your troubles!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*meredithl2009 View Post
    Suggestions on increasing supply please?? Is is basically the same process as if the supply was low when the child was younger?
    Yes, pretty much the same. Get baby to nurse more, or pump more if she won't. I know WIC gives out pumps to moms with babies less than 1 year old, but in your circumstances perhaps they would make an exception for an older baby. Doesn't hurt to ask!
    Increasing low milk supply
    I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm sorry too....
    I would get a hold of your local leader she could help. she would know about all the local recorces!
    Try the salvation army for food help, ours is wonderful; And there are a few local churches that have food banks and one even has a group for single parents where they provide something for kids to do so that thier parents can have a break once a week. A free baby sitting service.
    Just keep nursing! thats the best way to up your milk supply!

I'm so sorry for your issues.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

What a terrible thing to say to someone. Why are people so vicious?? Honey, contact your local DHS a*k*a Department of Human Services or Health Services or whatever they call it where you are. In your situation, you would almost definately qualify for what they call "expidited services" in other words instant food stamps. If you DON'T get qualified for it, call some of your local churches or look up the local food banks, and find out what you have to do to get some free food stuffs. If you aren't getting enough food for yourself, your body might be reacting in defense by decreasing your supply. It's possible but not likely. Normally your body will react in that it will take nutrients and stuff from you to feed the baby, not the other way around, but if you are TRULY deficient on vitamins, nutrients, and minerals, and such, your body will rob itself of such to feed baby. Get some help. I sure hope this gets you going in the right direction.
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

That's a lot to bear. I think the suggestion the PP had about expedited services through DHS is a great idea to try, as well as trying churches and local shelters, if there are any in your area.

The more you can nurse (if she'll cooperate--the world is so intriguing!), the better your supply will be. And though I know this is easier said than done, taking care of yourself by getting enough rest will help too.

oh mama. what a load to bear.

i agree with applying to receive food stamps. you can also look into AngelFood Ministries, which may be available through a church in your area.

call your local WIC office to see if there is a breastfeeding counselor available to talk to. we do loan pumps and offer breastfeeding services even to moms of babies/toddlers over 1 year.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

Sending lots of your way mama. The previous posters have given you lots of good advice. Hang in there!
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )