Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: to scared to start dropping topups

Default to scared to start dropping topups

The relactation has been going well, but Ollie has started needing up to 2.5 oz top up after each BF again and i know that unless i start to drop the the feeds bit by bit there no way my milk will increase to the amount he need, but like the title says im too scared to start dropping them

Ollie will have a full BF first thing in the morning and will go for around 2 hours before needing another feed but as the day goes on his suck seems to become lazy and he is requiring more of a top up or he just get really frustrated and start clamping down on me and pulling ...which really hurts

I'm really struggling as i cant see a way out of this

When i hand express after each feed i can get milk, so im not sure why hes getting so wound up and i know by having a bottle it literally 'on tap'. Do i just bit the bullet and start cutting down?

The Health Visitor is extremely supportive but she is also wanting to keep a very close eye on his weight, which again worries me as Ollie cant afford to lose any at all

any advice or suggestion would me much appreciated

thanks for reading
    I'm Siobhan(or Sib)
    Mum to 5, Newest addition Ollie born Nov 30th '09, 11weeks Prem weighing 2lb 12
    hoping to get this going so i can eventually my little man

Default Re: to scared to start dropping topups

How about dropping the top-ups to 2 oz, and then BFing immediately afterwards? I know it's scary- believe me, I know!!! But if diaper output remains normal, then likely everything is fine.

It's pretty normal for a baby to feed best early in the morning- prolactin (the milk-producing hormone) levels peak in the night, so many moms notice that they have the most milk in the night or first thing in the morning. As the day wears on, there's a bad synergistic effect of the baby getting tired and less able to nurse well, plus mom's prolactin levels falling. It creates a situation where there's less milk and a baby who's less able to get what there is.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks
    I found this so going to give it a try and see how we get on
    I'm Siobhan(or Sib)

just thought id give you a little update

I tried to follow the guide but Ollie had other ideas lol
    Ollie's is now having booby for every feed and only needing top ups 2/3 times in 24hrs (usually mid afternoon and last thing at night before bed ) His reflux has reared its ugly head again so he is comfort feeding LOADS which is making such a difference on my supply
    we are still having lots of wet nappies so i must be getting it right somewhere
    and hasn't lost any weight, hes currently 5lb 15oz
    I'm Siobhan(or Sib)