Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids and poop

Wink Solids and poop

My son turned 6 months old this week, and until about 2-3 weeks ago was exclusively breast fed, at which time we started introducing solids. He's had bananas, apples, peaches, sweet potatoes, pears, all w/ no problem.

He's gone from one large, runny poop every 5-6 days to several poops a day, but what concerns me is that his poops have gotten a LOT more solid. That itself wouldn't bother me, except that when I changed him this morning, he started crying while passing one of these poops. Also, he started waking up in the middle of the night a few days ago (not to eat - he goes back to sleep after DH soothes him for a bit) and also waking up crying before his 9:30-10 feed that I usually give him in his sleep before I go to bed. Now I'm wondering if he's waking up and crying b/c he's trying to have a BM and it hurts.

He's taken a few sips of water out of his sippy, but I haven't really pushed that much. Should I start trying to give him more? Juice? I don't really want him to be a "juice kid", and had never considered giving him any at all until this happened.

Should I thin his purees out more? I haven't really been thinning them much.

PS, I know bananas can be constipating, but he's had maybe 2 or 3 total. The majority of what he's had are sweet potatoes, b/c those get made in bigger batches than anything else.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Default Re: Solids and poop

Introducing solids can certainly create a need for a greater intake of fluids, as the body uses a lot of fluid throughout the digestive system to break solids down. Offering more opportunities to nurse, offering expressed breastmilk and water, as well as thinning out the purees can help add the needed extra fluid.

Anything starchy is more inclined than fruits and veggies to solidify stool, so even the sweet potatoes may be adding to the issue. I would try cutting back on those and increasing the fruits and veggies.

As for softening stool and/or making it easier to pass, I found that soaking dried apricots in water overnight and having DS drink the 'juice' worked really well. I also put a bit of diaper cream on his rectum when he has/is having a hard time passing stool, as it can help lubricate the passage and prevent fissures from developing or worsening.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

I sent 1 pear, 1 apple, and 1 sweet potato (instead of 1 fruit and 2 potato) today, and I used more EBM last night when making the potatoes, so we'll see how that week goes.

I like your idea about the dried apricots. I'll swing by the store tonight and get some of those.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

thanks for this post! i too, have been very surprised by the dramatic shift in bm textures after eating just one serving of something new. i like the apricot 'juice' idea as well. also, im not sure that my DS was constipated as his solid poops are usually paste like, but they seem to take about 20 mins to completely leave his body. it seems like when i change him, he poops twice more before i can actually get a diaper fastened on him. is this normal? i find myself offering solids one day and backpedalling when he doesnt poop (or has a solid poop) to virtually no solids the next day and constant breastfeeding. should i just accept the new poops and forge ahead? he doesnt seem to be in pain, but does seem a little confused and perhaps even alarmed as he is having a bm. sorry to take over this post but i have never been able to get much info on the poop topic from anywhere! thanks!
    brenna

mom to Cash, 7/23/09
    born: 8lbs. 10oz
    5 mos: 21 lbs & 27 in
    8 mos: 24 lbs & 32 in

It's the banana that makes my son have the weird solid poo.