Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I know my baby is sick but..

Default I know my baby is sick but..

what on earth does he have? This is the way he's been acting for the past couple of days:

No fever.
    Stuffy nose, sneezing (i suction him a lot)
    Whenever i suction him he will cry bloody murder and cannot be calmed down, not even by nursing. I have had to change a few shirts because of let downs. This goes on for at least an hour.
    He cries when he's laying down..Elias is not a crier..but these past few days he will be fine one minute and then he will burst out in agony..i don't know what it is!
    He has refused to nurse a few times..Elias always likes his mommy milk. He doesn't seem as happy as he usually is. He wakes up a lot at night crying uncontrollably (we cosleep)

I don't know what's wrong! Should i take him to the doctor even though he doesn't have a fever?

ETA: He has been sucking on his hands and fingers big time..he gags a lot..could it be teething?
    Last edited by Brenda; February 14th, 2006 at 07:41 PM.

Default Re: I know my baby is sick but..

I'm sorry he's so sick. Does he have an ear infection?

I wanted to add that half of mine never have fevers with ear infections. I can only tell by them crying when they lay down. That, and I bought an otoscope. LOL! Anyway, I hope he feels better soon!
    Last edited by mamabear; February 14th, 2006 at 07:52 PM.

Hi Brenda,
    Maybe it's his ears? Could he have an ear infection? Mine were very uncomfortable lying down when they had ear infections. Just a thought.
    Hope he feels better soon,
    Mary

Will he nurse any other time of the day? Does he avoid one side? When my ds had an ear infection he nursed a lot LESS, and avoided laying down and one side bc that ear when he laid in my arm to nurse really hurt. I was VERY engorged so I could tell that his intake was a lot less. I am sorry that you all are having a tough time, I would def call the doc and have him take a nosy around, can not hurt.

I suspect ear infection as well -- often goes with the congestion and often marked by sudden intense pain (the suctioning, the lying down).

If he doesn't have a fever (which I think signals that his immune system is staying on top of the infection) you might be able to treat his pain and avoid antibiotics -- talk it over with your doctor. In Europe, for example, they don't prescribe antibiotics for most ear infections.

I'm sorry you're going through this! My ds had an ear infection following a bad cold at age 7 or 8 months, and it was awful for a couple days. I hope he is feeling better and you get some rest SOON.

--Rebecca

How is ds today?

Thank you everyone! Last night he went into his crying fits again and was up pretty much all night. We went to sleep after i took the other kids to school and just woke up at 2:30pm..lol..he's still sleeping. He's not that stuffy and has been nursing fine. If he gets like this again tonight i will take him to the doc tomorrow. My poor baby ..i hope it's not an ear infection..my first two children (both formula fed) got lots of ear infections and the oldest had to have tubes put in his ears. My JJ and Elias are the only ones bf, JJ never had an ear infection, but i guess these things just happen.