Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much is a feed?

Question How much is a feed?

Hi All

So I am going to go back to training at karate in the middle of March. This means that I will have to express enough milk for a feed twice a week. The dojo where I train is only a 5 minute walk so I will be away from the house about 1.5 hours. However, DS has his prime feeding and comfort time in the evenings so he is usually attached to between 6-11pm with short breaks provided by DH so that I can cook tea, go to the loo etc.

Anyway, I have no idea how much milk I will need to express for this amount of time away from home-does anyone have any suggestions? My baby boy is 10 weeks old, but will be about 14 weeks old when I go back to training.

Confused!!

Default Re: How much is a feed?

Most Mamas I think offer 2ounce bottles, bit your DS is still little, so maybe 1-1.5 oz? The key is to not put too much in a bottle because you don't want to waste any in case they don't drink it all. So I think if he had a couple of 1.5 ounce bottles that should be more than enough.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

It varies from baby to baby but DS2 takes 2-3 oz a feeding. DS1 took 4-5 oz at a time but that is way on the high end for a BF baby and he ate a lot during the day and STTN. You are only going to be gone a short time so he'll probably be fine with just a couple ounces.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Hi!

I did not read the other replies, so I am sorry if I am repeating.

I believe the "rule of thumb" at this young age is that they need about 1 oz per hour. But that is on average, so I would also thinks it's fine if your baby does not have milk for 1.5 hours, so long as you offer right before you go, and as soon as you get back, with your hubby offering soothing in the meantime.

You WILL be fine, this is a short time away from the baby and as long as you are offering on the demand the rest of the time you have nothing to worry about!

Thanks all, the only reason I needed to know is because he cluster feeds at this time and the STTN. I think I will leave 2.5 oz just to be safe the first couple of times and we can go from there

Thanks again

2- 1oz bottles and then if he doesn't take that whole 2 oz you don't have to throw it away....

you might find that he doesn't need a bottle if your only gone for a short period like that he will just wait till you get back...