Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Whole Beans

Default Whole Beans

They seemed like such a good idea until I pulled one out of my burrito today and honestly I couldn't figure out of it might get stuck in his throat long ways...anyone have any experience w/whole beans? Or do I have to mash them up???( Because then I have to feed him )

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Whole Beans

Somewhere I saw a picture of beans (was it Parents magazine?)... and they were cut in half and offered that way. They looked small enough; pea sized I would guess.

Samuel LOVES beans of all kinds and he eats them whole with no problem; they are soft enough to break up easily in his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom
    They seemed like such a good idea until I pulled one out of my burrito today and honestly I couldn't figure out of it might get stuck in his throat long ways...anyone have any experience w/whole beans? Or do I have to mash them up???( Because then I have to feed him )
    I actually just tried black bens with Addie today. They were organic, no salt added from a can (yeah, lazy, but I didn't feel like cooking an entire batch of beans when I knew she probably wouldn't put any in her mouth anyway! ). I just smashed them a little bit between my fingers (just enough so they weren't totally round any more) and put them in front of her. Lo and behold, she picked one up and ate it. Yep, only one, but she seemed to like it! She didn't have any problems mashing it up further and swallowing.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Weighing in - I gave Emily beans early on. Black beans I didn't do a hing to but lima beans - I squeezed then out of their husk (Is that what you call that?) Then they split in half on their own. She liked 'em both. No problems, even before she had really gotten the hang of chewing.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I was just wondering the other day about beans...but I was scared for another reason....did it make your los gassy? I just worried about tummy upset--not the smell !

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown
    I was just wondering the other day about beans...but I was scared for another reason....did it make your los gassy? I just worried about tummy upset--not the smell !
    That was my main concern too ... now, I would say - "Don't worry, it didn't upset Addie at all," but she only swallowed ONE bean when all was said and done. Now, our dog on the other hand got a whole baby fistful of them ...

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon