Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: starting with fruits and veggies?

Question starting with fruits and veggies?

I read in my "Parenting" magazine today that a lot of doctor are recommending starting baby out on fruits and vegtables rather than the usual rice cereal. My DD is almost six months so I'm starting preperations for the big day she gets food... If I can get the nerve to do it! Just wondered if anyone's dr. has said that?

Default Re: starting with fruits and veggies?

Well,
    we don't listen to them about food too much around here...mostly because it makes Moms that are right at the point you are now feel PRESSURE when there is none. Your baby will be perfectly sustained on BM alone for AT LEAST a year!! So don't feel like you have to introduce solids. You don't. If you go out on the website there is a list of LLL reccomended 1st foods. Rice cereal isn't among them. Reason being it's hightly processed and there's not alot of nutritonal value and they just add iron to it...

I personally opted out of baby food all together. P-t-m has listed some great info on baby led solids that are all over this page and that has worked very well for us. So even if you don't decide to go straight to finger foods, rest assured there is no hurry to introduce, your fine timewise and you can skip rice cereal all together. (No matter what your Pedi says )

I spoke to my OBGYN about this - she has three children of her own that were all breastfed. She told me that rice cereal is designed to help baby learn to push food from the front to the back of their mouths and there is a low risk of allergies to rice cereal. Since the texture is so soft and solulable (sp?) it is easy for baby for a first food.

Talk to your pediatrician, though, on what you want to start baby out on b/c of the risk of allergies.

As far as when - my baby determined that for me. When baby seems interested in solids he/she will let you know. My DD was reaching for a cookie I was eating and when I put it near her mouth she opened up like she was going to take a bite. I thought it was a fluke so I tried it again. She did it again, and then reached for food at dinner that night. I knew it was time. She was/is 4.5 months old. I started her on rice cereal and will keep her on it for a month/one bowl a day.

yeah Gavin let us know when he was ready, he of course doesn't care much for the cereal so he is on fruits & veggies now and he is over six mos old
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

i agree with the pps...i've also read that you don't HAVE to start with rice cereal...though our pedi recommended that we do because of the whole low-risk for allergy reason, too. i bought a box of earth's best rice cereal, though i haven't opened it yet. dd is 4.5 months old and has started to eye up everything i eat, though she hasn't tried to reach for it...but she does watch the fork/spoon move from my plate to my mouth...and i sometimes find her just smiling and staring at my food!

our pedi also recommended that after rice cereal, we start dd on veggies first before fruits. he said that fruits are obviously sweeter, that it's better to introduce after dd gets use to eating veggies, which are usually not as sweet as fruits...so that's what we plan to do...carrots, sweet potatoes, and peas...of course introducing each one after 5-7 days of eating the other...to watch for an allergic reaction.

i'm actually excited about starting solids...but i really want to wait until dd is 6 months old...but it's hard with my mom and sister pressuring me into introducing rice cereal to my dd.

good luck with your decision!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Quote Originally Posted by Aleina's_Mom
    our pedi also recommended that after rice cereal, we start dd on veggies first before fruits. he said that fruits are obviously sweeter, that it's better to introduce after dd gets use to eating veggies, which are usually not as sweet as fruits...so that's what we plan to do...carrots, sweet potatoes, and peas...of course introducing each one after 5-7 days of eating the other...to watch for an allergic reaction.

i'm actually excited about starting solids...but i really want to wait until dd is 6 months old...but it's hard with my mom and sister pressuring me into introducing rice cereal to my dd.
    Hi, Aleina! Here's a little info from the Wholesome Baby Food website regarding offering fruits or veggies first ...

Myth: Giving your baby a fruit as a "first" solid will cause baby to reject and dislike veggies.

Truth: The order of food introduction really doesn't matter. Some say the veggies first so a "sweet tooth" doesn't develop for fruits. If your baby is breast fed, she is already receiving the sweetest food there is! Others say fruits first so that baby will enjoy her first foods and not be as likely to reject solids. Still others say yellow first then green while some say green before yellow so baby doesn't reject the yellow.......

There is no hard scientific evidence to prove any of the above; you find many babies LOVE their green veggies and HATE their fruits and v.v. We personally introduced foods in an order something like sweet potato then bananas then peaches then another veggie then another fruit ...

And Dr. Sears says pretty much the same thing:

"I've heard that it's better to start vegetables before fruits. Is this true?
    Purists recommend that vegetables be introduced before fruits so that infants don't learn to expect that food should always taste sweet. This is one of those nutritional directives that sound great in theory, but many of us who have fed lots of babies have found it hard to put into practice. First of all, babies are born with a sweet tooth. Their tiny tongues are more richly supplied with sweet tastebuds than with any others. This makes sense, because human milk is sweet, and breastfed babies are less likely to willingly accept the bland taste of vegetables than formula-fed babies. While there is no doubt that vegetables are nutritionally superior to fruits, most parents find that babies will happily eat fruits, making them hassle-free first foods. The nutritional content of starter foods is of secondary importance; the main goal of these early solid food feedings is for the baby to learn how to swallow foods of different textures. You're likely to have more success with fruits than with vegetables. When introducing veggies, try the sweet ones first: carrots and sweet potatoes. If you have a baby who loves vegetables, good for you! Don't worry if your baby attacks veggies with less enthusiasm than fruit. He'll eventually learn to like them if you keep offering them."

And good for you, standing your ground on the battle of the solids! I got much pressure from family and friends to start Addie on solids before she was ready, so I know it can be difficult. Adeline was only just ready for solids in this past month, and she still isn't that interested most of the time ... and she's 9 months old!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by Aleina's_Mom
    he said that fruits are obviously sweeter
    LOL! I'd love to feed that man some avacado followed by sweet potato and ask him which one he really thinks is sweeter!

Yep, you can totally skip the cereal! Be thankful you have a doctor who is actually versed in the current research regarding the "necessity" of cereal as baby's first food. Many are still doling out some pretty old school advice!Rice cereal is pretty empty nutrtionally and certainly not as fun to taste and experiment with as fruits and veggies. Possibly try avocado, sweet potatoes or yams, peaches, pear, watermelon, winter squash, etc. Here is what kellymom.com states regarding cereal:

"Cereal is not at all necessary, particularly the baby cereals. Regular (whole grain) oatmeal is more nutritious for your baby. Many doctors recommend iron-fortified rice cereal as baby's first food because it is less likely to cause an allergic reaction and because most babies sometime after the 6th month require an additional iron source other than mother's milk. If your baby starts solids around 6 months or later, there is much less chance of allergic reaction to foods. It's debatable whether healthy breastfed babies need the extra iron (you can get baby's iron levels checked if you're worried about this). In addition, infants need lots of protein and cereal has a low protein-calorie ratio (even lower when mixed with water or fruit). Many experts (including LLL) suggest giving meat or other foods naturally rich in iron instead of foods with added iron. For more information on iron, see Is Iron-Supplementation Necessary?"

Here are LLL's recommendations:

Fruits

Most babies love fruits. Make sure they are ripe, and wash well before peeling. Here are some favorites:

Bananas cut into slices which have then been halved or quartered
    Unsweetened applesauce, or tiny apple chunks that have been softened by cooking in the microwave
    Plums, peaches, pears, and apricots, gently cooked if necessary
    Avocado diced into small, bite size pieces

Vegetables

Fresh vegetables should be washed, peeled and cooked until tender. Frozen veggies are convenient to have on hand. Avoid the canned varieties to which salt has been added. Your baby may enjoy:

Baked or boiled sweet potatoes, in tiny chunks
    Mashed white potatoes
    Baby carrots, green beans, peas and squash
    My DD is 9 months old we have followed her lead on when to really start solids.She has just began to really show interest in foods, and is still more likely to play with her food than put it in her mouth ... and that is FINE! Breast milk provides complete nutrition for the entire first 12 months, so there's no rush. Most of a baby's solid food the first year is just for play and experimentation. And they sure have fun *playing* ... it is very messy and super fun for them and for us parents watching them explore! Here is a page I have really enjoyed ... baby-led approach to the introduction of solid foods. I really like the idea of letting the baby set the pace and keeping the focus on play and exploration so the transition takes place as naturally as possible.

Here is another link on starting solids, with good ideas for first foods: First Foods.

Good luck and have fun!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon