Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lansinoh leak!!!!

Unhappy Lansinoh leak!!!!

I had a horrible experience - I saved around 175ml of breastmilk in lansinoh freezer bag. When I was thawing it...I saw that the bag was leaking and I had to throw away the whole bag because I was showing in warm water and I wasn't sure if water had entered the bag! Has anyone experienced this? It is just heartbreaking experience. All the efforts to get the precious liquid only to throw it down the drain (((

Default Re: Lansinoh leak!!!!

Oh no that's horrible! I haven't had a bag leak, but my husband was infamous for tossing bags because he thought they looked bad or he warmed them accidentally. It's quite painful to witness.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I have had the exact experience with the Lansinoh bags. After the third time, I switched back to the Medela bags. They are a bit more expensive though. A friend had the same thing happen and she now uses the Gerber bags without trouble.
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

This happened to me not that long ago. There was a small hole near the zipper on the back. After I got a few like that, I was fed up and called Lansinoh. They sent me 2 new boxes in the mail and an envelope to send a couple of the ones with holes in them back. They have wonderful customer service.

Before you dump the milk in, check on the back side of the bag on the left side just under the zip-closure and at the very edge of the bag. You will probably see a tiny hole. I am now in the habit of checking the bag every time before I dump the milk in.
    Robin

From what I read, it's a pretty common problem with Lansinoh bags - they say it's due to their use of "virgin" plastics. I still continued to use mine, but what you can do is put it inside another clean bag before you defrost it, that way the clean bag will catch the milk that leaks out and you will be able to use it. I also noticed that they would pop/get cracks in them if they got banged around too much in the freezer. I dropped one on the floor once and the whole thing busted open.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Ack this is horrible. I JUST bought some off amazon last week and got them today. I've been using medela ones but decided to get these because I had read really good reviews on them.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi I'm Stella, mom to Owen (12/06) and Nathan (07/10) and wife to Dale
    Holy Batman! with another BOY due to arrive July 2011

Yes, I've had the same problem, although I haven't witnessed it myself! My mother tells me that she thinks it's because when I freeze the milk, the milk freezes and ends up having a point.

Has anyone had any problems with the Medela storage bags?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    From what I read, it's a pretty common problem with Lansinoh bags - they say it's due to their use of "virgin" plastics. I still continued to use mine, but what you can do is put it inside another clean bag before you defrost it, that way the clean bag will catch the milk that leaks out and you will be able to use it. I also noticed that they would pop/get cracks in them if they got banged around too much in the freezer. I dropped one on the floor once and the whole thing busted open.
    What do you mean by "virgin" plastic? I like your suggestion of putting it in a cleanbag to catch the leaking milk! Do you put it in another lansinoh bag or in a zip lock bag or something like that??
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

This has happened to me...what I realized happened, is that any time you even slighty hit the bag-it leaks. If the bags are stored next to each other...you will get a leak. They are so sensitive.

I did what the pp stated and used another bag. HTH
    Mommy to Jackson Cale
    May 30, 2009

Proudly my little love.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lavenda319 View Post
    What do you mean by "virgin" plastic? I like your suggestion of putting it in a cleanbag to catch the leaking milk! Do you put it in another lansinoh bag or in a zip lock bag or something like that??
    I got that info from here when I was looking into it because my bags were leaking. Supposedly the bags aren't as sturdy as regular plastic because lansinoh trys to make them more pure - so they end up being weaker. I usually just used another ziplock because the milk would only be in there a few minutes and then dumped right out. But the article in the link above uses Lansinoh bags.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

how much do you store at one time in a bag? i've been using lansinoh for almost 6 months for donating to a local mom. she's never complained and always gives me more lansinoh to use.

i freeze anywhere from 2.5 to 5.5oz at a time.