Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused about block feeding

Default Confused about block feeding

I have an over supply and too-strong letdown problem with my 5 week old. Early on, we had latch problems, so I saw a lactation consultant. She advised that I finish the first breast at each feeding, and noticed that I had an abundant supply. She said to burp during the feeding on the first breast to help with his gas problems, and then to put him back to that first breast while doing breast compression to help him get enough hindmilk. She said that he might not be interested in feeding from the second breast.

Basically, my LO never does eat from the second breast during a feeding, he's always full after the first. To stay comfortable and to build my freezer stash, I do sometimes pump the other breast, and usually get 3-4 ounces from it. So I believe that he's definitely getting a full feeding from the first breast, and he's gaining tons of weight and has lots of diapers.

Everything I've read about block feeding says to feed solely from one side for 2-3 hours. But since my LO eats about every 2.5-3 hours now, and only eats from one side, I'm basically already block feeding in 5-6 hour increments, right? The left breast would be used for every other feeding, so it would go 5-6 hours between feedings. But I'm still having way too much supply and I'm engorged most of the time. (I only pump the "unused" side during the feeding between 2 and 6 am, as that's when I'm most engorged, so hopefully that's not a huge factor in the oversupply).

I guess I'm not sure I understand how block feeding works, because it seems like I'm already doing it and it's not helping.

Default Re: Confused about block feeding

It sounds like you're doing the right thing. Give the block feeding time! And don't worry about going 5-6 hours on the same breast- some moms need to do much longer blocks than just 2-3 hours in order to see results.

If you can cut out or reduce the pumping, I would do so. I know it's hard to not be building your stash, and probably a lot harder to put up with the discomfort of being excessively full, but the pumping does help perpetuate the problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I also have a huge overactive let down and oversupply issue. I block feed. Just some thoughts.

I would cut out the morning pumps if you can. That is probably a big factor. You already produce more in the AM anyway and your telling your body to produce more by pumping. I would give your body a chance to adjust, you'll know when it happens. If you want to pump the other side after your little one feeds do it another time of day. You won't get as much but it might not make such a difference in your overbundance. Good luck!

OH, don't eat oatmeal EVER! It's a shame because I like it and I'm not eating dairy as it upsets my little one's tummy so I'm limited in my morning choices. I would love to be able to eat oatmeal but it sends my supply over the moon!

Only nursing from one side per feeding (which would be every 2-3 hours) is the first step. Give that a few days or a week to work and if you're still having a problem increase the time.

The pumping on the other side may be slowing the process down. The purpose is to let the breast stay full longer, sending the message to decrease supply.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My DD is 7 months old and I still have OS. I don't want you to think that your supply won't ever even out, but even if it doesn't, it's okay. Having too much milk is a better problem that not having enough.
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).